The Energy Thread

Neonmoon

I was going to put this in Oil Barons thread, but thought maybe it might get too political considering the nature of it. 

NY gonna NY

https://marcellusdrilling.com/2018/05/home-rule-chaos-reigns-in-ny-towns-vote-to-block-wind-solar/#more-57887

In June 2014, New York’s highest court, the Court of Appeals, reaffirmed two lower court rulings that empowers townships and municipalities across the state to strip away property owners’ rights to allow drilling and other energy projects (see Shale Drilling in NY is Over – High Court Upholds Town Bans). NY’s high court ruled in the “Middlefield” and “Dryden” cases that local municipalities have the right to regulate energy development within their jurisdictions–where it can and cannot happen. The seeds planted with the “Dryden” and “Middlefield” cases has sprouted and is now in full bloom–like spring daffodils. So-called “renewable” energy projects are now being blocked using the very same decisions meant to block natural gas drilling–delicious irony that puts a big, fat smile on our face. On the other hand, it points out the truly horrific consequences by NY’s highest court in allowing each community to, in effect, regulate energy production. It is utter folly and lunacy. Welcome to New York…

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidblackmon/2018/05/04/for-smart-state-energy-policy-look-to-texas-not-new-york/#534611a77d9f

As reported by the Marcellus Drilling News on Thursday, a New York Supreme Court decision issued in 2014 allowing local communities to ban drilling and fracking operations is now being expanded to ban wind and solar projects.

When it meets on May 9, the Town of Delaware's Town Board will rule on a proposal to place a 12 month moratorium on the construction of commercial wind farms.  The target of that proposal is Delaware River Solar, a company that has already completed one project - the Baer Road project, which was recently lauded by New York Governor Andrew Cuomo - in the town and wants to build another.

Now the town of Hopkinton has used the court ruling to enact ordinances that would effectively kill a 17 windmill farm proposed to be constructed within the city's limits by Avangrid.  New Yorkers, it seems, have come down with a severe case of NIMBYism (Not In My Back Yard), and it is now redounding against the pet projects of Governor Cuomo, who has done so much to cultivate and enact the state's posture against the oil and gas industry.

It seems like a reasonable court decision to me and a reasonable application of it. 

I'm a fan of wind energy, but I'm not big on developers being immune to local regulations.