Bill Cosby conviction vacated, to be freed from prison

Gourmand

On 9/3/2022 at 1:26 AM, Augustus said:

I'm a little late in replying to this, but I just watched a documentary about all this and wanted to review the thread.

The bolded part is the opposite of what happened.

Both DA's, in fact, did a fantastic job of getting some actual punishment for Cosby--both financial and imprisonment--that he would never in a million years have endured without them doing what they did.

The first DA tells him he won't prosecute him. Now Cosby has no 5th amendment rights in the civil trial, because he can't incriminate himself.  So he answers truthfully--like an idiot, I'll add, but I think he got off on bragging about it while believing he couldn't be prosecuted.  The result was that Constand got a few million out of him.

The second DA says, "fuck the previous DA's promise. I'm gonna take his deposition and send him to prison."  He almost certainly knew the conviction would be overturned on appeal, but also knew Cosby would have to do some real time before that happened.

So, DA #1 contrives a means to get Cosby on the record and he's forced to settle for 3 million.

DA #2 takes the record and manages to get Cosby to sit in prison for a few years.

Both outcomes never happen without those guys doing what they did.

I applaud them both.

We like the result because he’s a bad guy, but it’s not the way prosecutors are supposed to act.  The second DA arguably acted unethically.  

• Hook 'Em 1