Microdiscectomy

I’ve had back pain for just over a year due to a herniated disc. Sciatic pain in my butt anytime I go from sitting to standing. Tried chiropractor, epidural steroid injections, stretching and none have helped long term. Doctor has recommended a miscrodiscetomy. I’m ready to end this pain. 

Anyone have one of these done to them? Beneficial? What’s the recovery time? Any advice? 

I had mine in early February. L5 S1.  Got there at 5am and was home by lunch.  I walked 3 miles that day and almost every day after that for a month. Walking helped the recovery a ton.  There was some pain and discomfort once the meds wore off.  I took Hydrocodone for 3 days and them dropped it so I could drive again. The pain from the incision got better every day and was gone completely in 2-3 weeks.  The last time I felt sciatic pain was just before they put me under.  It never returned.  My core had grown weak in the months before surgery and during the recovery. I’ve been working on that and it’s coming back now. 

If I worked in an office I’d have been back within a week, but with frequent stretching and walking breaks.  As it is I drive an airplane and the doc didn’t want me back to work for 2 months partially because of sitting for long periods of time but more importantly because he didn’t want me lifting a suitcase into an overhead bin.

In April I began light strength training, mainly core work.  Supermans, planks, hip work, etc... As of May 1, I am cleared to do anything I want. Mountain biking, running, squats, whatever...  I had a good experience. Glad I did it.  But the core work has to be a priority almost every day now or I’ll be going through the whole thing again with a different disc.

My primary exercise is jogging, around 3-4 times per week, and yard work. Figured I may have to take a couple months off. Tentatively scheduled surgery for mid June. 

I can’t wait, if it works. I can’t go on anymore with this pain in my leg. 

I have an office job. Planning on having the surgery on a Friday morning and be back in the office by Wednesday or Thursday if possible. 

Edited by Kevin O’Shea

i also have a herniated disc and was experiencing the same type pain with minimal relief from stretching, epidurals, etc. bout a year ago, i started carrying my wallet in my front pocket. 

not sure that i can attribute pain reduction to that, but since then, no pain only stiffness in the mornings. sometimes in my back, sometimes not.