American Happiness Reaches Five-decade Low

Harrison Bergeron

On 2/3/2022 at 11:37 PM, staboner said:

re: suicide. My 2 cents. I just think of purpose and isolation myself. And isolation is twofold - from people/family (accountability) and from nature/god/earth (spirituality). Modern American life is the most removed from both. More removed than any other culture at any other time ever.

For soldiers I believe the common shared problem is loss of the adrenaline. Regular life is too mundane and they can't hack it. 

First paragraph- couldn't agree more.

Second paragraph is just WTF/ falsehood.  Investigate a little more...  The notion that veterans are killing themselves because they're a bunch of Waingros from Heat and need to get their game on to maintain normalcy is extremely misguided.  Maybe, I am misreading what you are trying to say.

PTSD is real.  Believing that your sacrifice( that of other buddies/ comrades) is suddenly illegitimate/ wasted is also real.  It's not because they quit jumping out of planes or blowing shit up.

Edited by slorch

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2022 at 2:53 AM, slorch said:

First paragraph- couldn't agree more.

Second paragraph is just WTF/ falsehood.  Investigate a little more...  The notion that veterans are killing themselves because they're a bunch of Waingros from Heat and need to get their game on to maintain normalcy is extremely misguided.  Maybe, I am misreading what you are trying to say.

PTSD is real.  Believing that your sacrifice( that of other buddies/ comrades) is suddenly illegitimate/ wasted is also real.  It's not because they quit jumping out of planes or blowing shit up.

I don't think it's necessarily just combat veterans. I think a lot of chairborne warriors off themselves too because looking back on it, they realize they peaked in the military and they want that community, structure, and camaraderie back and can't find it in the outside world. 

Among that maladjusted subset of veterans, some others do something stupid like join the Oath Keepers so they can pretend America is Helmand Province, only this time, they are front-line soldiers and not the POGs they were back in the day. I got that distinct impression from both listening to them being interviewed and tapes of their "field operations" on Jan. 6. 

That Bobbitt chick fits this profile to a tee. If she was ever in the shit while in the service, I haven't read about it. She was just the type of person who needed to be in a more orderly environment than just being out there on her own running a terrible swimming pool service. 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator