R.I.P. Albert Almanza, UT HOF Center '58-'61

phdhorn

Wanted to give notice of this in case you missed it. Almanza was a two-time Olympian for Mexico and leading scorer and rebounder for UT during his tenure. Quite a guy. His kids are in their 50's and his son is a pretty successful lawyer in town.

My wife went to Austin High with his daughter, suffice it to say it was a long and painful decline and finally he's out of pain. Just thought some of you might want to read up on a UT basketball Legacy. He lived in the Barton hills area and his funeral was this morning.

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/college/longhorns/mens-basketball/2023/01/30/albert-almanza-former-texas-longhorns-basketball-player-olympian-dies/69851330007/

• Hook 'Em 5

7 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Wanted to give notice of this in case you missed it. Almanza was a two-time Olympian for Mexico and leading scorer and rebounder for UT during his tenure. Quite a guy. His kids are in their 50's and his son is a pretty successful lawyer in town.

My wife went to Austin High with his daughter, suffice it to say it was a long and painful decline and finally he's out of pain. Just thought some of you might want to read up on a UT basketball Legacy. He lived in the Barton hills area and his funeral was this morning.

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/college/longhorns/mens-basketball/2023/01/30/albert-almanza-former-texas-longhorns-basketball-player-olympian-dies/69851330007/

Thanks for posting. I had the privilege to meet Albert at a bball reunion several years ago. What a great guy. One of the sad things about sports is when teammates, coaches and other lettermen pass away. That's tough but it's great to know how much he was loved and loved the University. I suspect that somewhere in Heaven, Albert is putting together a bball team. RIP Albert. 

• Hook 'Em 1