Youtube - Barkley Marathon

Nice Guy Eddie

I had never heard of this small, off-road Tennessee marathon until 2 weeks ago, and now I've watched ~4 hours of youtube content and I've seen it listed on CNN.  Good mix of odd characters, impossible 100 mile race that is really 125 miles, and some weird origin story that is tied to the prison escape of MLK's killer. Only 40 people are allowed to run, and the starting gun is a lit cigarette.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/24/sport/aurelien-sanchez-barkley-marathons-ultrarunning-spt-intl/index.html

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

I saw that when it was on Netlfix.  

As a runner (mediocre even in my prime) I appreciate the designed cruelty of the rules. Not knowing the start time is just brutal.  You can't plan you fueling, hydration, sleep, or even shitting to prep for one of the most grueling events on the planet.  Every year, he routes the race through the tunnel with water, which means the runners are in wet socks for hours.  He makes the runners take opposing directions on the last loop, which means you can't have a run buddy.  And of course, if you don't finish in the extremely challenging time target, it just doesn't count.  One second over and you didn't finish.  It is pure sadism.  It only works because running requires a certain level masochism.