Happy 106, Virgil T.

YGIFS

I've been listening to hell outta some Derek Trucks lately.  And was thinking of the long and varied life that the late Harry Belafonte led.  My late father was a huge Cubs fan, but wouldn't you know...his first White Sox game...Virgil Trucks was pitching at ole' Comiskey Park. 

Virgil Trucks born 106 years ago today (died 10 years ago).  One of only three pitchers to hurl 2+ no-hitters in the same season (1952).  One of less than 10 pitchers to hurl more than 30 shutouts and save 30 games.  Led the league in strikeouts in 1949.  With just 153.   There is also some contention (due to poor record preservation) that he owns the minor league no-hitter record with four.  

Virgil served in the U.S. Navy during WWII.  Virgil's nephew, Butch, co-founded a little known southern rock band called the Allman Brothers Band.  His great nephew plays in Widespread Panic.  And another one is Derek Trucks who married Susan Tedeschi and plays in her band, along with former Allman Brothers incarnations and incredible session work.  

Virgil Trucks died at 95, is in the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame, and laid to rest in the Alabama National Cemetery.  

I love stories like this.  There are so many baseball players from that era that led such interesting lives off the diamond.  You can hear the hungover hurling of Virgil in the music of his descendants.  Now you got your damn pitch clocks and your unions...

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 1