Longhorns Greatest Hits

MaybeACoordinator

16 hours ago, idahorn said:

According to SI Nobis averaged 20 tackles per game.  In the rain in Austin in 1965, I saw Nobis run Donny Anderson out of bounds for losses on four straight plays--alternating sidelines.  Anderson was a 3 time AA and drafted by the Packers to replace Hornung when he was a junior.

wow!....I can hear that Tech OC now......"ok...run out of bounds 3 plays in a row.....never will expect us to give it to him again...."

Probably 90 percent of these would get flagged today and I have mixed feelings about that. I am approaching middle age and had several concussions playing HS and Jr high and I worry about my mental health from here on out. I can't believe how willing I was to slam my head into some other kids head when we were both running full speed, but it actually felt good when you got the sweet spot. Just like it did when you'd crank a home run. It's hard to describe -- the perfect hit in football feels just like the perfect in baseball in your brain, even if one of them has to pass up through your bat, your hands, and your arms, and the other is just straight to the brain.

But if you were just slightly off-kilter, man, BANG, STARS. And then time would slow down. My main concussion symptom was I would get stuck in deja vu for what seemed like minutes but was probably only a few seconds. Intense deja vu. The first football game I played after moving back to Texas was against Channelview. Freshman game. They ran the option and they had this big ol' lumberin' hoss of a white QB. I was an outside LB, and he rounded the corner, and I could see he was not gonna pitch, so I went in for the kill and BOOM. We were both on the ground for a few seconds. The weird thing for me was I was thinking "I have always been playing this football game, with my teammates shouting encouragement, under a bright Texas sky, with the smell of chemicals on the breeze, and the feel of strange grass under my back..." 

But I'd played all my football in Tennessee up to that point. 

There's a scene early in Master and Commander that captures the sensation really well. 

See Russell Crowe, here. Yeah, I wasn't being broadsided by a bunch of fucking French cannons, but I sure as hell adjusted my brain on that hit, and this is exactly how I felt around 2:45

The coaches pulled me for one play and I went back in and thought nothing of it.