Ranking the 25 best bowl games of all time

Hornius Emeritus

I thank this thread for inspiring a rewatch of the last 20 minutes of the 2001 Holiday Bowl.   I was a sophomore; so many memories.  Young Mack.  Shovel pass city.  Neurotypical timeout management and playcalling decisions.  Egregious linebacker mugging.   Roy Williams and Derrick Johnson balling out of control.  Major heroballing at the highest possible level.  It's beautiful.  

• Like 1

Yep, that Holiday Bowl...much as it was a disappointment to be there for the team after that gut-punch "upset" by Colorado in the Big XII title game......that makes the first great Longhorn football team in a decade with the Big XII title upset in '96, then Ricky in '98.  But 2001, despite the ugly upset in Irving, as a start to finish Top 10 team. going 11-2 and finishing in the Top 5/10.  that program really sets the table for the 2002 team which I think was 1 or 2 spots lower in the polls but the best team Mack has between 1998-2004, it goes 11-2, barely losing to OU and at Tech (though we led both those games). We manhandled some great teams that year.  2003 was another letdown overall.  

But anyway, Ivan Williams and the 4th quarter Longhorns really set the table for 2002, which sets up the Rose Bowl in 2004, and our rebirth from 2004-2009.  Ivan Williams has a huge hand in that.  Otherwise, I dunno.  How many coaches on the field...

On 12/19/2019 at 6:17 AM, wood said:

Glad to to see the win over Michigan in the 2005 Rose Bowl on that list. That game was damn near as good as the 2006 Rose Bowl, which is right at the top, where it should be.

I remember Lloyd Carr ripping his D's tackling after the game, then coming back later after film review and taking it all back, saying that the D had actually played well, but VY was just too fucking tough to bring down. That's what so many people didn't get about our offense under VY - it probably wouldn't matter how well your D played. The result was gonna be the same. It was like we were going out there with 12 guys.

You're just asking for an aggy lawsuit.