Wireless printer problems

Printer: Canon MX922 with latest firmware

Router: NVG599 on U-verse

The damn thing stopped working recently, I really feel like it’s a router/security config problem as it looks like att just flashed the firmware. I can only successfully print hard wiring with USB. Two iPhones (iOS 11) can’t find it using AirPrint, an MS Surface suddenly can’t see it, and installing the drivers on my Dell notebook can’t find it either.

The printer is on the right SSID, gets an IP via DHCP, the subnet/gateway settings are all correct, the router sees it (IP changed when I released/renewed), hell I flashed the firmware via the printers menu so I know it can reach the outside world just fine. I’ve restored it to factory defaults. I’ve moved it closer to the router to make sure it’s not signal strength randomness. Bonjour is on, so it should work with AirPrint.

Only thing I haven’t done is a hard reset of the router. I’ve checked out a bunch of settings but didn’t see anything obvious that would block the device, no MAC filtering or anything...again the printer downloaded its own firmware so I know it’s on the network.

When I get a chance I’ll hard reboot the router but figured I’d see if anyone here had thoughts on the NVG599 router settings that could cause this.

Did you add anything to your home network around the time the printer stopped working? Can you ping the printer at the IP address it says it has? Moreover, if you disconnect the printer’s power will that IP address still respond to a ping?

I’m wondering if maybe you have an IP conflict on your network. That would explain how it went out to the Internet to update firmware but you couldn’t connect to it. Try running Advanced IP Scanner from your computer and see what manufacturer it says is at that IP. If it’s not the manufacturer of the printer, or if that IP responds to a ping when the printer is off, then you gots yourself an address conflict.

• 4 weeks later...

Wanted to follow up that I fixed this...by forcing my 2.4Ghz network to channel 1 vs the auto it was set to (which picked 11).

I had been having the damndest time getting my Ring doorbell to connect...itd see the network and then time out trying to ping the server. So a little googling showed they’re sensitive to channels, changed it over, now Ring works fine so figured I’d check the printer.

Odd. And to Waldo...no new devices, itd get an IP but I couldn’t ping it, and could even download firmware updates. I checked for IP conflicts, subnet mask problems, made sure there were no firewall or MAC filters. Damndest thing.

On 5/12/2018 at 12:27 PM, 52-80 said:

i had one of those.  just take this as a great opportunity to trash it and replace with a Brother laser.

100% agree with this. Brother MFC line are workhorses and their customer support is actually helpful. I suggested to my father in law that he get one and calls from him asking me about printer issues have gone to zero (also suggested he get a Mac).