Teddy Roosevelt National Park, North Dakota

mininghorn88

I have a lot of vacation to burn so I am thinking about hopping in the truck and heading North to Teddy Roosevelt NP as my primary objective sometime in mid-October.  Any of you ever spent any time there?  I plan on starting my official research tomorrow but thought I would check in here first.  i live in NE Texas and am accustomed to driving a lengthy amount (15 to 16 hours per day if needed).  i have spent a lot of time in western SD and eastern WY but never been to TRNP despite going to Bismarck on business multiple times.

On the way up I thought that I might hit the Badlands again.  If my girlfriend goes with me I also thought about taking her to Rushmore, Wind Cave, Crazy Horse, Deadwood, Spearfish Canyon and Devil's Tower since she has never been up that way.  I have been to all of those places multiple times but would really like some insight on Teddy Roosevelt NP and its site seeing and hiking opportunities.

• Hook 'Em 1

Ironically I just got back from there last weekend. We stayed in Medora (Badlands Motel) as it was the closest to the south entrance. The town doesn't have much, but it has what you need. Also isn't very crowded after their summer musical season is over, which we liked.

We did the north and the south parks, but like the south one better. The north seemed to have more hikes, but is kinda in the middle of nowhere. Saw a shit load of bison (which was the main objective) and had a great time in town at night. Overall, I'd definitely recommend.

9 minutes ago, millhouse said:

Ironically I just got back from there last weekend. We stayed in Medora (Badlands Motel) as it was the closest to the south entrance. The town doesn't have much, but it has what you need. Also isn't very crowded after their summer musical season is over, which we liked.

We did the north and the south parks, but like the south one better. The north seemed to have more hikes, but is kinda in the middle of nowhere. Saw a shit load of bison (which was the main objective) and had a great time in town at night. Overall, I'd definitely recommend.

How long were you there?  Was your time there adequate?  If I go by myself then time is not a factor.  However, if I take my girlfriend then time is more critical due to work commitments. 

23 minutes ago, smuggs said:

Quit your jobs and start a travel vlog. I've read that works well for vacationing couples.

That would be nice, but, no.  There is just something about me contributing money to someone else for them to enjoy.  So, with that, I would not feel comfortable in soliciting money to drive around the US on vacation at others' expense.

I spent a couple of days there a few years ago, one day in the north section, and one in the south. Lots of prairie dogs.

In the North, I considered hiking the North Achenbach trail down into the riverbed, but this trail was extremely steep, and vague enough, that I figured I'd just fall down a cliff if I tried to descend it, so I skipped that idea. From the end of the main road, near Oxbow Overlook I think, it was probably a lot more reasonable to descend into the basin. There is also supposed to be a small herd of Longhorns in the north unit, but I did not see any.

In the South, I did the main park loop drive, with lots of short hikes added. I also went up to the park highpoint, Peck Hill, which is off-trail. I think there are some longer trails in this area, the Jones Creek Trail, but I did not have time.