Grading the Team’s Performance Week 6

hpslugga

09ECDA01-CF19-491F-9D3E-4166EC9EE8B7.thumb.png.48db966cf50e00017649e8c5213c9192.png

Always dread these. Always dread turning in a solid offensive performance that goes with a loss against the big rival. 

The offense was by no means perfect. Line of scrimmage play was a huge issue which is what ultimately led to the red boxes next to 3rd and 4th down plays. 

But at the same time, fuck. Turning in 48 against those dick lickers should always be sufficient to win.

Line of scrimmage play on offense? C-.
Line of scrimmage play on defense? What’s worse than F?

I haven’t read any of the board here but I heard it in the stands: people bitching about LB play. Look, if your DL are a non-entity in the run game, it really doesn’t matter what the fuck your LB’s are doing. If you’re Overshown or Brockermeyer, you’ve got far too much ground to cover to hope to be adequate. Brian Urlacher would have looked like shit out there yesterday. Block shedding? Hardly ever saw it. The flow was going exactly where they wanted it to, so it’s not like the Texas front overpowered any one. And this isn’t a scheme issue, either. It’s a talent issue that negates coaching advantages. 

Special Teams: goddamnit, stop returning fucking kickoffs 6 yards deep. When you do that and when you get it out to the 22, you didn’t net 28 yards on a return: you lost 3. And when you fumble it, no one can write that off to “well he was just trying to make a play.” That’s bullshit. 

Admire and applaud the effort, but all that game did was expose how thin Texas is on the interiors. In fact I don’t think I’ve ever seen a set of skill players and a set of interior players on offense with that much disparity between them like the Texas offense has. It’s depressing but not near as depressing as the defensive front.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1