Moose out front shoulda toldya

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

You're on a hike with several kids 7 and under.  You see a moose 20 yards away.  What are you supposed to do?  Freeze?  Get low?  Back away slowly?  

I got nothing but freeze and maybe lay down so you don't look like you pose a threat ??

16 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

You're on a hike with several kids 7 and under.  You see a moose 20 yards away.  What are you supposed to do?  Freeze?  Get low?  Back away slowly?  

Was in Steamboat Springs last summer and we were walking on a path to a waterfall.  I heard a rustling to my left about 10 yds up and thought it was anything other than a moose.  We had just been talking about moose and how they can be territorial and dangerous when threatened to our 11 and 8 year old a couple days before.  Then this giant fucking moose steps out onto the path and just stares at us for what seems like forever.  I saw it and instinctively told everyone to stop and walk backwards.  My wife(no pics) and 11 yr old son said fuck it and pulled out their phones and stated filming and taking pictures.  I heard my 8 year old daughter scream and then crying...looked behind and she was 40 yds away in no time.  Looked back at the moose and it continued on its way and then laid down in the thick brush about 40 yds away.  It was a pretty cool experience.  I will see if I can dig up the pics of the moose(not the wife).

14 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

You don't have to outrun the moose- just the kids.

My 8 yr old daughter is way faster than I would have thought when confronted by a moose.  I am pretty confident now that she will not be the one that a moose kills or bear eats.

With all that said, I have no idea idea what you are supposed to do.  I have heard that you are supposed to find a tree and get the tree between you and the moose.

Edited by 1978horn

52 minutes ago, 1978horn said:

My 8 yr old daughter is way faster than I would have thought when confronted by a moose.  I am pretty confident now that she will not be the one that a moose kills or bear eats.

With all that said, I have no idea idea what you are supposed to do.  I have heard that you are supposed to find a tree and get the tree between you and the moose.

They're much faster but they're small.  You need to push them down.

• Like 1

i can't make my mind up between turning away and leaving (will they chase you?) or freezing (they're territorial, will they attack until you leave?).

i started thinking about this because i saw a facebook post where a couple moms had their little kids on a hike, saw a moose, and actively followed it for 60 yards or so taking selfies etc.  they were really close to the thing too, at one point getting within 20 yards.