The SEGA Power Surge -- "Let me reintroduce ya"

sega.gif.94567be3405c3249a356ec302c4be0ad.gif

When I was a kid, the very first thing I was ever ride or die for was SEGA. I didn't have an NES, I had a Sega Master System, the Sega before the Genesis. I grew up playing Outrun and Altered Beast and Afterburner in a local laundry mat. My dad was huge into video games in the 80's, and he infected me with a love for Sega Blue way before it was cool. I watched them go from completely unknown to the biggest brand in video games for a while and it was cool as shit. I had a Sega CD -- it was literally the first CD player anybody in my entire family had. I had Sega Channel, which was netflix for video games back in the 90's. I preordered a Dreamcast and picked it up on 9/9/99 with NFL 2K, Power Stone, Soul Caliber, and Sonic Adventure.

So for the past 22 years, Sega's absence has soured video games for me. And now, once again, they're finally swinging for the fences with this new era, new attitude, new sega branding:

They're all-in on reviving their image, starting with bringing back all the games that made them such a huge part of my childhood. Already announced is:

Shinobi

Crazy Taxi

Jet Set Radio

Golden Axe

Streets of Rage

Rumored to be coming next is:

Virtua Fighter 6

Altered Beast

Eternal Champions

Outrun

Kid Chameleon

Panzer Dragoon

House of the Dead

Thunder Force

Super Monkey Ball

Alex Kidd

Afterburner

Today's kids just don't know.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

NFL ‘94 undefeated champ right here.

Pissed several friends off they never won. 😂

Oh man i had joe montana 94 and it blew my mind. The best thing about sega channel is every month they would throw up every sports game they had to download, and they always had way better sports games than nintendo.

My favorites were world series baseball 95, nba jam t.e., and mutant league football. Especially the last one because you could do things like bribe the ref or send in goons for dirty hits to take players out of games.

The sega game announced so far that im most excited about is shinobi, its being made by the guys who made streets of rage 4 which was incredible. Im totally there day 1 for shinobi. I also put an ungodly amount of time into virtua fighter 2 in highschool, so ill be all over vf6.