Taste Freeze and the olds

texasdago

Posted (edited)

I've never suffered from the Taste Freeze phenomenon.  I think it's because I've always had really broad taste in music that even in my.college years I would feel out on Van Halen, New Order, Eric Dolphy, Hello man, The Dead Milkmen, Dvorak, Front 242, Sisters of Mercy, INXS and everything in-between.

When Bearshare rolled around, it's possible I may have enjoyed thousands of songs, many of which I had never heard.  I was introduced to the brilliance of Thievery Corporation, DJ Cam, Kruder & Dorfmeister, DJ Shadow and more.  

So now... I still really love new music.  ACL and Levitation are great because you get to see bands you know and then discover a bunch of new bands.  So, I don't understand the Taste Freeze concept but see it allll the time.  I don't get it.  It's people getting a case of the olds and you see it in full force when the ACL lineup drops.  Levitation seems to draw a more "open, crowd.  

Thoughts?  I'm just north of 50, for context.

https://www.techtimes.com/articles/55096/20150527/spotify-study-finds-that-musical-taste-stagnates-at-age-33.htm

Edited by texasdago

• texasdago changed the title to Taste Freeze and the olds

Definitely not as much into top 40 as I was growing up. Im 49 now. I guess I was probably around 40-45 years old when I noticed how little I knew about what the best songs and groups were. I still enjoy some of the hits that come out in all genres but not like when I was young. I'd say peak music listening for me was mid to late 80s. I was a taping off the radio with my cassette recorder fiend. I would be glued to Casey Kasem on Sundays. MTV, vh1 on all the time. Funnily enough my wife and I listen to the alternative radio station in dfw mostly now when driving. 

I like the new Taylor swift song Fortnight and that only came out 3 weeks ago. I'm impressed with her songwriting skills in general though. I liked the Morgan wallen county song, last night. That is catchy. But it's definitely few and far between, now vs when I was 16.

Yeah it's interesting they key in on Top 40 because I think Taste Freeze applies to most new music.  I'm not a huge pop top 40 fan but soak up most of what gets played on stations like XMU or Alt Nation... same with KUT which is a great way to get educated on local bands.  Have to say KEXP is a great source for lots of good music.