valley of the boom

The University

Valley of the Boom explores the dot-com era during Silicon Valley’s unprecedented tech boom of the 1990s and subsequent bust. The six-part limited series, tells the wildly true stories of the epic browser wars and the companies that shaped the internet.

looks aight.

Edited by The University
  • Like 1

For all the techie-focused look back movies and documentaries, this is a niche moment that doesn't get much play.  Cast looks good to great.  I am in.  Hope I remember by Winter though that this is airing.  

• 3 months later...

did anyone watch last night?  the first two episodes aired, and i'm sure are avail on demand for those who missed.

i liked it ok, but didn't love how they've decided to style this.  i said above it had a big short energy to it, which it sorta tries to do.  but it does something else i found off-putting - it spliced tv show scenes in with real interviews from the people.  that part was ok.  but it also has interviews with actors who are playing the real people, which i found odd and distracting.  and not interviews from the time, like from tv or something, but like, interviews they conducted for this show.

for instance, bradley whitford plays jim barksdale of netscape.  so there would be a scene with whitford walking the halls of netscape, gathering people for a meeting.  then a clip of whitford talking (as barksdale) about why they needed to have a meeting, then a clip of barksdale himself talking about the meeting.  it stunted the momentum of the storytelling for me, which is already unfolding pretty slowly, especially since there are only 6 episodes in the mini-series.

i'll keep watching because the content interests me. 

• 3 weeks later...

Style got on my nerves eventually.  Very strong cast though for the most part.  I enjoyed it and yes, in hindsight, binge watching it is the way to go here.