Going in dry, and other pot roast tips

Gen. Applewhite

First tip: get the right cut of meat. A well-marbled chuck roast is where it's at. This one was 3.5 lbs that HEB tied up into a nice little package:

2019-01-20-Pot-Roast1.jpg

Second tip: brush it with this stuff before you liberally coat it with salt, pepper and any other spices you deem appropriate:

2019-01-20-Pot-Roast2.jpg

Then sear the hell out of it. Don't be shy. At least five minutes a side, if not more. Look at this crust:

2019-01-20-Pot-Roast3.jpg

Third tip: go in dry. It's a pot roast not a braise. Do not add water, stock or any other liquid:

2019-01-20-Pot-Roast4.jpg

Cover it with a lid, put it in the oven at 275, and resist the urge to check it for three hours. Trust me little dude, it's still there. I promise:

2019-01-20-Pot-Roast4-5.jpg

Although you started dry, you now have a beautiful roast sitting in a good amount of undiluted and extremely flavorful au jus: 

2019-01-20-Pot-Roast5.jpg

Now, and only now, add the vegetables to the bottom of the pot and place the meat on top. I leave the garlic cloves whole because I fish them and the celery out before serving. Cover the roast and put it back in the oven for another hour:

2019-01-20-Pot-Roast6.jpg

You may have noticed there were no potatoes, and that's the last tip: roast them separately because crisp potatoes. Eventually the meat will be tender enough to twist a fork in it, and that's when it's ready:

2019-01-20-Pot-Roast8.jpg

• Like 2