ID theft protection service?

So I’ve been getting all sorts of calls last few months from computers telling me my ID has been hacked; it’s probably a scam. Also wife was part of the experian data breach. I’ve had 2-3 other companies in last year say data has been breached. So wondering if it’s time to start paying an ID theft protection service Co. 

anyone using a service that they recommend?  Good or bad?

Also thinking about freezing credit. I won’t need any credit for the foreseeable future so wondering if this is the right thing to do. Anyone with experience here also?  Good or bad?

I've had LifeLock for quite a while. They're pretty good about letting you know if there's unusual activity. I also have Credit Karma (it's free). Not sure if Credit Karma alone is an acceptable level of protection.

You can place an initial fraud alert with the three credit agencies. I just had to do it with one, and that one notified the others. I used Transunion. If anyone tries to establish credit in your name, the creditor will receive an alert, and I think you are contacted. That lasts for a year now (used to be shorter).

If you freeze your credit, I believe that you have to unfreeze it for any new credit inquiries. Nominal fee to do that.

Two threads

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/8769-so-i-have-been-identity-thieved/

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/6964-identity-theft/

• 4 years later...

I have been notified by 3 different organizations I do business with in the last 2 months about data breach and my personal information may have been exposed. Most recently I was notified by my bank. The have arranged for a 1 year complimentary  membership  with Identity Defense Tool ( never heard of it).

Just starting to research all the options available as it seems that it inevitable.

What does Surly think?  Are these services worth the money?  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2024 at 8:41 PM, Stella Link said:

I froze my credit with all three reporting agencies a few years ago. 

Since I don't need any more credit cards, and don't plan applying for any loans in the near future, it's worked for me.  

Love this advice. Superior to any monitoring service. 

Even if you need to thaw it for someone authorized to run your credit, it takes 5 minutes so long as you have your password and know which agency. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, UTPhil2006 said:

This is what I would suggest. On the 1-2 times a year you have your credit run just unfreeze it for the day for the creditor and then change it back the next day 

You can schedule an unfreeze when you set a freeze.

• Hook 'Em 1