David Temple retrial starts today

Dennis Taylor

https://abc13.com/football-coach-back-on-trial-20-years-after-wifes-murder/5383477/

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- The re-trial of David Temple, a former Alief Hastings High School football coach accused of killing his pregnant wife and unborn baby in 1999, begins Monday.

ABC13 will be live streaming the opening statements online this morning.

Belinda Temple was eight months pregnant when she was shot in the back of the head in the couple's Katy home. The couple also had a 3-year-old son.

Testimony revealed Temple was having an affair with a co-worker who later became his wife.

Temple was found guilty in 2007 and sentenced to life in prison. But nine years later, the Court of Criminal Appeals, the highest criminal court in Texas, threw out the conviction, concluding prosecutors hid or delayed revealing hundreds of pages of evidence to Temple's defense team as he was tried for the murder.

The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals ruled Temple's attorney was not given evidence and information, including a detailed report about an alternate suspect, a teen neighbor.

"It's been a long journey. This is a portion of that journey that's been completed," said Temple after bonding out of jail. "We're waiting for justice to be served once and for all. And for the people that put me there, that lied and cheated, to be held accountable."

2 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Very fascinating case. I lean toward him probably having done it, but there is reasonable doubt.  It's been a while since I went over the evidence.  

Kind of what I thought after reading a summary of the evidence.  Might be one of those where he would lose in a civil case, or it be damn close, but should not be convicted.