Biff Tannen

2020 Seattle Mariners thread

To get us started off right:

“There will be no closer,” Servais said. “It’s just going to depend. Some nights it might be a particular guy matchup-wise or because he has the freshest arm, he hasn’t pitched in a couple days and he will be asked to get the final three outs of the game. Unless somebody jumps up and grabs the position and he looks super comfortable and he’s just shoving it and looks great, then it might grow into that. But right now, we don’t have one.”

SoDo Mojo, baby!

And who gives a shit about a closer if there won't be any save opportunities.

"Mariners won't name World Series MVP yet."

2 hours ago, miguelito said:

SoDo Mojo, baby!

And who gives a shit about a closer if there won't be any save opportunities.

"Mariners won't name World Series MVP yet."

lulz.  cry.

Your current RF mess. 

Entering Spring Training, the Mariners were slated to roll out Mallex Smith in center field and Kyle Lewis in left, but there was little clarity regarding right field following a series of injuries that have left Mitch Haniger without a timetable to return to game action. Jake Fraley, Braden Bishop, Jose Siri and veteran non-roster invitees Carlos Gonzalez and Collin Cowgill were among the team’s options to step into the void created by Haniger’s absence.

Fast forward a few weeks, and the team’s situation has trended toward a resolution. Siri was just claimed off waivers by the Giants earlier this afternoon, the Mariners also announced that Bishop was optioned to Triple-A Tacoma. Both struggled in Major League camp with the Mariners — Siri going 2-for-12 with a homer but seven strikeouts and Bishop going 1-for-11 with a pair of walks and five punchouts. (As Ryan Divish of the Seattle Times tweets, Bishop has struggled to return to form after having his spleen removed early last summer.)

At this point, Fraley appears to be the favorite to open the year in right field. MLB.com’s Daniel Kramer spoke with Seattle skipper Scott Servais about the 24-year-old, whom the organization acquired alongside Smith in the trade that sent catcher Mike Zunino to the Rays. “I like where Jake is at,” Servais said of Fraley. “There’s still room for growth. … But he comes to work every day. He’s about as serious as anybody in that clubhouse. He knows what he wants to get done every day.”

Fraley got his feet wet in the big leagues last season, although he went just 6-for-40 in his first MLB cup of coffee. That small sample shouldn’t overshadow a huge year between Double-A and Triple-A, however, as Fraley’s combined .298/.365/.545 slash is eye-catching (particularly considering the pitcher-friendly nature of the Double-A Texas League). Fraley appeared in 99 games in the minor leagues (427 plate appearances), but he still racked up 19 home runs, 27 doubles, five triples and 22 stolen bases. Thus far in Spring Training, he’s 6-for-26 with a pair of homers, a pair of doubles and a steal. He’s punched out in eight of his 29 plate appearances but also drawn three walks.

Gonzalez and Cowgill remain in the mix, but it seems unlikely that either would secure a starting job. The Mariners have every reason to get a look at Fraley in a regular role against big league pitching, considering they control him through at least the 2025 season. Gonzalez could be a bench bat and potential fallback option in the event that Fraley struggles early, but the Mariners appear intent on trotting out a young lineup and evaluating their controllable candidates. With uber-prospects Jarred Kelenic and Julio Rodriguez looming behind the current crop of outfielders, this is the best time to get a look at Fraley and other currently MLB-ready options.

It’s also possible — and perhaps likely — that neither CarGo nor Cowill breaks camp with the club. Divish tweets that the Mariners could carry both Tim Lopes and Dylan Moore on the Opening Day roster, using one as a fourth outfielder in that scenario. That’d keep with the team’s evaluation-focused modus operandi in 2020, although it’s worth noting that Moore exited today’s Cactus League game after being hit on the wrist by a fastball. Initial x-rays were negative, but his status is one to keep an eye on at the moment.

Posted (edited)

Is Jay Buhner available?

He had 30 home runs, over 100 RBIs last year, he's got a rocket for an arm, you don't know what the hell you're doin'!!

Edited by Biff Tannen

^ I just recently clicked on that thread, how many times would you guess you’ve seen every episode? 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ss13 said:

^ I just recently clicked on that thread, how many times would you guess you’ve seen every episode? 

Lord.  I mean, I watched Simpsons/Seinfeld every weeknight from about 1995 til the end of the series.  Then bought every season DVD as they came out in the early 2000s and now Hulu has them all for free.  I've won the last three Seinfeld trivia nights I've entered.  One of them had 55 teams.  I may have a problem.

Edit: Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Edited by Biff Tannen

Highly doubt I’ve ever seen a complete Simpsons episode in one sitting, just never got into it. 

1 hour ago, ss13 said:

Highly doubt I’ve ever seen a complete Simpsons episode in one sitting, just never got into it. 

Man, there are some on this board that will roast you for that.  Also, lovely that our Mariners are so promising this year that Seinfeld is more popular in this thread than the team.  That said, I'm going to try and get up to Arlington for at least one game of the April series at the new stadium.

The real question for this thread is will our 3/26-29 series in Sea actually take place? 

1 hour ago, ss13 said:

The real question for this thread is will our 3/26-29 series in Sea actually take place? 

Goddamn virus

Mariners have discussed playing home games in Arizona if COVID-19 forces change

USATSI_14167333-1024x683.jpg
By Evan Drellich Mar 10, 2020comment-icon.png 57 save-icon.png

Update: The Daily Herald and Seattle Times report that Washington State Governor Jay Inslee is expected on Wednesday to restrict gatherings of over 250 people, including sporting events.

If government officials impose restrictions that prohibit events on the scale of Major League Baseball games in the Seattle area, the Mariners could temporarily play their home games in Arizona at their spring training facility, people familiar with the contingency plans said on Tuesday.

No alternative scheduling plan is final. It is unknown what directives, if any, government officials in Washington or Seattle will issue in an effort to fight COVID-19 — or whether the timing of those directives would affect the regular season. But the possibility that games could be canceled nonetheless looms as myriad events, in sports and otherwise, are shut down across the country. 

With Opening Day 16 days away, an ordinance longer than two weeks in length would likely impact the Mariners, and MLB and its teams have been planning accordingly.

There have been 24 deaths in Washington state, per the Seattle Times. Washington Gov. Jay Inslee and other government officials, including Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan, have a planned news conference for 10:15 a.m. PT on Wednesday. The media advisory notes that “social distancing plans” are to be a topic. 

The Mariners are scheduled to open their regular season on March 26, in a home game against the Rangers, a franchise that is opening a new ballpark in 2020. Rangers general manager Jon Daniels indicated to the Associated Press that it was possible the relocated series could be played in Arlington, Texas, but a source on Tuesday night suggested that was not likely. The Rangers could benefit from as much time as possible before opening their park.

Arizona is a logical alternative in many respects. The Mariners and Rangers are both already in Arizona for spring training. The Mariners would likely use their own facility, in Peoria. 

Many outcomes are in play. For example, the Mariners could play some home games in Arizona, and perhaps others at a road stadium in another major-league city, depending on the length of any potential absence from Seattle.

Major League Baseball on Tuesday night declined comment. On Monday, the league issued a statement: “While MLB recognizes the fluidity of this rapidly evolving situation, our current intention is to play spring training and regular-season games as scheduled.”

With reporting by Corey Brock

I don't know why, but I just googled Sad Moose. 

eRFFySce5r-12.png

This will be useful this season:

149-1499378_moosefacepalm-sad-moose-cart

what in the fuck

moose.jpg

1995 ALDS game 5 on MLB network at 1030 tonight. Looks like the whole game, not just The Double.

And at 3 am is the show on the whole season, shit’s good.