What was your most heart breaking moment as a sports fan?

Knoxtnhorn

7 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

Texas was never in the game, the goddamn criminals from The U showed their asses, and beat us 46-3 with over 200 yards in penalties, most of them unsportsmanlike conduct. Texas Football collapsed again, McWilliams got fired, and I will always hate the Miami Hurricanes. 

we needed a George Teague type

I honestly don't understand how there wasn't a massive brawl in that game, how our guys just got teabagged for three hours and took it passively. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

we needed a George Teague type

I honestly don't understand how there wasn't a massive brawl in that game, how our guys just got teabagged for three hours and took it passively. 

I was in the first row for that game in the section right next to the Miami band.  Cold, wet, listening to that music for the whole game.  Miami and SMU, long deep seated dislike for both of those programs.

It was 17-6 when it happened, so not one score. and we had the ball at about our 40. Again, it was a low risk call and it's not hard to see what they were thinking-- roll the dice on (again) a relatively safe play, try to grab twenty cheap yards, get within another completion of being in field goal range, let Hunter Lawrence do his thing, go in down one score. 
The most likely outcome of that play is that Newton takes the shovel pass and gets smothered for a gain of two and we let the clock run out. If we ran that play a hundred times, I bet the actual outcome of a pick six happens once. 
Of all the things I spent YEARS castigating Greg Davis over, calling a shovel pass in that situation isn't in the top hundred. It's not like he had a noodle armed QB throw a horizontal pass to the wide side of the field and got it picked off and run back. 
but defending Greg Davis against hindsight is both icky and colossally boring, so I think that's enough

I’ve never gone back and watched that game so I had forgotten we were down by two scores. I still stand by my point to get into the locker room with the game “close” to regroup and game plan the second half with Squints. I hated the call then and I hate it now. You’ll know better than me, but I don’t recall the shovel pass being a part of the offense that season. I certainly don’t recall them running it a lot.