2021 NBA Offseason Thread: Business as Usual? -- Trades/Free Agency/Retirements/Etc.

Patrick Bateman

4 hours ago, Jhawk said:

There is definitely a right and wrong way to exit a franchise and honestly this whole situation could have been avoided even after doc and embiid ran their mouths in the summer. Simmons could have quietly gone to morey and told him that he needs to be traded and preferably before the season. Lay it out like morey looks like a hero because he gets to do a blockbuster trade and Simmons gets out. It appears that Simmons doesn’t even want to go to a winner so there could have been a ton of options. Instead both sides went from zero to eleven so fast that we are all injecting Simmons drama directly into our veins and the two parties that matter in the equation have a 99.99% chance of getting pennies on the dollar for Simmons until he proves he will play hard and play well. The sixers did him dirty after the loss. Simmons did everyone dirty before the loss with his play and then after the loss by not being the bigger man and trying to figure out a diplomatic way out of philly. 

So, Simmons and his team actually did so.  They met with Philly right after the playoffs and floated the idea of parting ways and exploring a trade.  Philly told him they didn't want to do that and they were committed to him being part of the franchise.  "Official" trade talks started right after free agency as Simmons let them know again he didn't want to be there.  The rub is Philly's price.  When you have a ton of time left on your deal, there's almost no way to force yourself out unless you become a huge distraction.  That's just the long and short of it.  It doesn't help that Simmons appears surly and uncommunicative and he sucked in the playoffs, but if you're too nice about it, the team just says, "you're under contract, fuck you".  I think when you're in a contract year or there's an ETO, there are some ways to grease the wheels and make it a much more efficient and polite process.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Washington might be able to swing a reasonable Simmons trade: Bertans, Kuzma, A. Holiday for Simmons. Salaries match up. Fills need for Sixers. And Morey can pretend that Kuzma is the young star he was holding out for. I assume Sixers would have to throw in some draft picks or swaps or something. Washington gets to unload Bertans, who they have to regret paying that much for.

I think this is exactly the type of deal Morey is talking about when he says he's not going to deal Simmons for a bunch of role players.  The shine is off Kuzma, nobody thinks he's a star level player anymore.  A cog in the wheel.  Have to think Morey would be irate to receive a deal like this.

Here's the other thing...... Probably put the Simmons stuff on hold for about 7 weeks.

11 hours ago, Llogg said:

Washington might be able to swing a reasonable Simmons trade: Bertans, Kuzma, A. Holiday for Simmons. Salaries match up. Fills need for Sixers. And Morey can pretend that Kuzma is the young star he was holding out for. I assume Sixers would have to throw in some draft picks or swaps or something. Washington gets to unload Bertans, who they have to regret paying that much for.

Now I do think Morey should get players that will help them but I dont think this package would help them much at all.  Kuzma stinks and Bertans was an awful fucking contract the second it was signed.

Edited by d2o