2021 NBA Offseason Thread: Business as Usual? -- Trades/Free Agency/Retirements/Etc.

Patrick Bateman

2 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

You do know that tens of thousands of people died from the polio vaccine when it first rolled out don’t you? The technology behind this vaccine has been around for over a decade. There is literally no postulated mechanism by which long-term side effects from this vaccine would be plausible. If you had any background in molecular biology, immunology, you would know this to be the case. There was a time when lay people trusted scientists. Now apparently doctors and scientists are part of some global conspiracy with the Chinese, the far left Democrats, the communist corporations, and the hospital pharmaceutical complex. I wonder why that is?

"Elite professional athletes who aren't worried about Covid because they're comfortable with their risk level refuse to take vaccine because of completely hypothetical, ambiguous, unfounded, unprecedented potential long-term effects."

Yep, makes perfect sense in 2021.

16 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

You do know that tens of thousands of people died from the polio vaccine when it first rolled out don’t you? The technology behind this vaccine has been around for over a decade. There is literally no postulated mechanism by which long-term side effects from this vaccine would be plausible. If you had any background in molecular biology, immunology, you would know this to be the case. There was a time when lay people trusted scientists. Now apparently doctors and scientists are part of some global conspiracy with the Chinese, the far left Democrats, the communist corporations, and the hospital pharmaceutical complex. I wonder why that is?

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

In the history of vaccines, no side effects manifested themselves longer than 3-4 weeks after injection.  And this isn't some DNA modifying cancer producing vaccine.  It simply identifies the spike protein that allows the virus to replicate and develops antibodies to destroy the spike protein, the eliminating it's ability to replicate enough to make you very sick.  There isn't going to be a mass die-off of humanity in a few years from all the sheep who took the vaccine.

Yes but Nicki Minaj cousin's best friend had his gonads blow up.

I like the motivation behind the changes but the curry example and the rat face sooner example are lame. Steph jumped into the guy but away from another guy. He's not allowed to try and avoid a defender? The sooner gets his whole arm grabbed by LaMelo. If you want to say it's not a shooting foul, cool, but it's a basketball move and should be a defensive foul.

Guys, seriously, we do this every year. The NBA sends out video of the "non-basketball moves" the officials will be focusing on this season. And, as always, they're too chickenshit to make the videos star Harden. They'll call it for a week, then things go back to business as usual.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 10/1/2021 at 11:42 PM, aggie08 said:

Guys, seriously, we do this every year. The NBA sends out video of the "non-basketball moves" the officials will be focusing on this season. And, as always, they're too chickenshit to make the videos star Harden. They'll call it for a week, then things go back to business as usual.

Yep, I will believe this "point of emphasis" only when that shit is consistently  called in playoff games and on superstar players

Edited by d2o

Those are all no-brainer calls listed, but we have been complaining about shit like that for over a decade. When people say "the 90s was a tougher league" it's because these types of fouls were never called back then. The league has incentivized players to initiate light contact to draw fouls, and the refs continue to reward it.  It makes the league look soft, games drag on and it's boring for the fans to watch 50+ free throws a game.  They should require more hard contact to draw fouls, because if the threshold was higher and required more force, players would not be seeking out the contact.  

Now, bring back flopping fines and the short videos showing the flops every week. Those reports were gold. Suspend players who do it frequently.

Expire any remaining "Fouls to Give" with 2 minutes left in the 4th. 

Only allow teams to use 2 timeouts in the last 2 minutes of the 4th. 

Remove incentives for intentional fouls with 2 minutes left in the 4th. 

Don't allow timeouts to be called unless you have possession of the ball. 

Institute a hard cap.

Get off my lawn.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/32135075/everything-know-know-ben-simmons-philadelphia-76ers-their-trade-impasse

The 76ers traveled north of the border to take on the Raptors Monday night. Simmons, as expected, didn't join them, continuing his holdout that officially began when he didn't report to training camp last week.

But while Philadelphia placed the 25% of Simmons' salary that he was owed Friday -- roughly $8.25 million -- into an escrow account, Monday marks the first day he will begin to see a permanent financial hit for his decision to stay away from his team.

Beginning with Monday's game against the Raptors, the Sixers plan to fine Simmons for every game -- both preseason and regular season -- that he is away from the team. For each game missed, Philadelphia will deduct roughly $360,000 from that $8.25 million placed in escrow.

The fine falls under the agreement spelled out between the NBA and the National Basketball Players Association in the Health and Safety Protocols, where a player who is unable to play due to "reasonable cause" will have his compensation for this season reduced by 1/91.6th (about 1.09%) of the player's base compensation for each game he misses.

In the event Simmons skips all four of the 76ers' preseason games, Simmons will lose roughly $1.4 million in fines. If he's traded, for example, on Nov. 19 -- a month into the regular season -- he will lose roughly $7.2 million in salary.

This is not money Simmons can get back in the event Philadelphia eventually accedes to his wish to be traded. The team that chooses to trade for him cannot agree to pay Simmons the money he is owed in fines from Philadelphia. Instead, Simmons would only be able to get some, or all, of the fine money back by coming to a settlement with the 76ers, who would have no incentive to do so.

17 minutes ago, d2o said:

Sarver gonna Sarver

If not the worst owner in the league, he's got to be close to it, in addition to being a complete jackass. I really like all the talent Phoenix has accumulated, but my lord the sucking that they had to go through to acquire it was worse than the Sixers who were doing it on purpose. Sarver will fuck this up, almost guaranteed. Completely fucking bush league. 

15 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Is Ayton really on the level of Luka and Trey, though?

I mean congrats on not being a bust but he was not the engine for that team.

When Denver gives Michael Porter Jr. a max deal it makes anyone who has shown potential  think they deserve one too.  You don’t have to be Luka to get one.

2 hours ago, Llogg said:

Is Ayton really on the level of Luka and Trey, though?

I mean congrats on not being a bust but he was not the engine for that team.

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

Yea Ayton has been great but I’m just not a fan of giving centers a max deal anymore. 

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

When Denver gives Michael Porter Jr. a max deal it makes anyone who has shown potential  think they deserve one too.  You don’t have to be Luka to get one.

I had pretty much the same reaction at first, but the NBA is up for a new TV contract in I believe, 3 years. Any contract signed now that extends into that new window is going to be considered a bargain. Cap is probably going to go up 3x if you believe the projections. NBA is huge internationally and only growing, plus it's hitting a younger demographic than NFL, even domestically.  Role players will be making $15 million per year. It's going to be bananas.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I thought Ayton was the best player on Phoenix in the finals. A big that runs like a deer, defends, and can hit fts?

This.  More importantly, is the $2-3M potential savings worth the additional negative publicity for someone who is already known as a pretty shitty owner?  Or losing him altogether eventually?   There is not one single chance that Ayton signs for less than $30M/yr.  Bickering about whether its 32 or 35 is stupid.

43 minutes ago, d2o said:

This.  More importantly, is the $2-3M potential savings worth the additional negative publicity for someone who is already known as a pretty shitty owner?  Or losing him altogether eventually?   There is not one single chance that Ayton signs for less than $30M/yr.  Bickering about whether its 32 or 35 is stupid.

It’s more about do you want to spend 25% of your cap space on a position that’s production can be pretty nearly equaled for way less money. Ayton is great, and at the end of the day I think you pay him but it’s still a question worth asking

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, d2o said:

Sarver gonna Sarver

So I'm sure this will be an unpopular opinion but Ayton as a player now isn't worth a 200m possible extension as a player.  He's basically a PNR dive post player without much shown post up game with a burgeoning pick n pop game.  So simply from a value perspective, I get it.  That being written, I understand his perspective and considering he's a home state boy, it may end up being a bad deal if they don't extend him.  What could they get for him?  Would it be commensurate value?  No idea and no idea about his development and where he is in expanding his game.  He's a very good big, but he doesn't do much to create space, double teams or offensive value.  He's sort of a product of a really good PNR guards.  What was DeAndre Jordan's value without Paul?  Capela without Harden or CP3?  He's a good rebounder and okay rim protector but can I throw the ball to him on the block and get a bucket or a double team?  Can I play pick and pop with a 3 point game?  How about a knock down shooter from 20 ft?

I get the hesitancy and it's probably being handled poorly as it's been leaked (probably by Ayton's mgt), but I do wonder if he's really a max player...... Don't get me wrong, someone will pay him the max. 

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Hook 'Em 1

I don't follow contracts as closely these days...isn't a max extension for any "All-Star caliber" player coming off of his rookie contract still pretty much a given? I'm all for front offices pushing back a little and not robotically paying young guys who showed promise, but Sarver probably shouldn't be the guy spearheading that campaign.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I don't follow contracts as closely these days...isn't a max extension for any "All-Star caliber" player coming off of his rookie contract still pretty much a given? I'm all for front offices pushing back a little and not robotically paying young guys who showed promise, but Sarver probably shouldn't be the guy spearheading that campaign.

Pretty much, especially when they're a hometown kid and former #1 draft pick who you selected over Luka and Trae Young.  He's largely performed too although not as the best player on a playoff team type level.  And absolutely agree about Sarver and considering his reputation, I think he'll eventually relent.  Could have been worse, they could have drafted Bagley.  Then again, failure to perform in Sacramento, the player or the organization?  Chicken or egg paradigm.  Bagley's been hurt a ton.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, aggie08 said:

I'm going to try to keep this as un-CR as possible (and if I fail, please neg me to Bolivia), but:

The obscene amount of middle-age white Boomers who are about to make Kyrie Irving their conquering hero is just awesome.

Yes because that demographic are the ones not getting vaccinated.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Do you know what a Boomer is? Because they aren't middle aged. And yes Boomers are the most vaccinated people in the country.

Apologies. Used "Boomers" in an overly-broad, colloquial way, not per the defined year cutoffs. Basically meant everyone who still posts regularly on Facebook. Roughly that age.

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Apologies. Used "Boomers" in an overly-broad, colloquial way, not per the defined year cutoffs. Basically meant everyone who still posts regularly on Facebook. Roughly that age.

Even that age group is running at 65.7% It's the youngs that are 57% and lower. So basically your lame attempt at a dunk on white people was about as accurate as a Ben Simmons playoff FT.

18 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Even that age group is running at 65.7% It's the youngs that are 57% and lower. So basically your lame attempt at a dunk on white people was about as accurate as a Ben Simmons playoff FT.

Dude, come on. No need to be so pedantic. The people who are the most vocal about not being vaccinated--the type who are going to latch onto Kyrie as a bright light in the fight against tyranny and will support his "struggles" on social media and cable news--fit a very specific profile. You know damn well that I'm right; you're just being a dick.

1 hour ago, Fastbreak said:

Kyrie + Jevon Carter for John Wall

The Rockets can put Kyrie on ice for the season and save basically 50 million over the next 2 years. 

The Nets get back a guy who can play for them. 

We are in a weird place when that seems semi-plausible.  I did not have tanking your trade value by refusing to be vaccinated on my bingo card.

John Wall hasn't really been a worthwhile player in 3 years.  The Nets just tied an asset to move a guy to avoid some luxury tax.  Anything is possible but that seems like Rockets fans wish fulfillment more than anything.  Nets would probably be better just putting Irving on ice than take on salary for a bad player.

I honestly can't believe we haven't seen something of a rumor between Kyrie and Simmons being swapped.  That makes both teams better an theoretically could be done with very little draft pick compensation though the sixers might want a pick or two because of Kyrie only having 2 years on his contract while simmons has 4 and Kyrie would miss approximately 6 divisional games depending on how rules shake out.

I know I'm an idiot but can someone tell me why this isn't talked about at all? The nets would never face Kyrie in the regular season at home nor in the playoffs.  I just think it's a home run if the nets are worried about his status at all.

He might actually make them better as then KD doesn’t have the be the only defensive player but no way the Sixers, or any team for that matter will be making any moves for Kyrie that are close to equal value. How many games is he even going to be able to play this year? And covid isn’t exactly going anywhere so the year after? And after that?