2021 NBA Offseason Thread: Business as Usual? -- Trades/Free Agency/Retirements/Etc.

Patrick Bateman

8 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

We needed Latrell and Sam cassel because KG had like 7 straight first round exits.

You needed Cassell. Spree wasn't great and retired a year later. But giving KG a competent PG is a pretty low bar.

8 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

If you were just the Spurs, Lakers, patriots, then the fun is gone

One of these things isn't like the others. And I definitely haven't been having fun as a Spurs fan as of late. Right about that one. 

Edited by ztejas

5 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

Wigs won’t get the vaccine. Cut him for conduct detrimental to the team/humanity. 

fuck it. It’s time to stop tolerating idiots. 

Considering he won’t be able to play home games and will lose out on half his salary, Wiggins is as shitty a teammate as he is a basketball player. 

27 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Considering he won’t be able to play home games and will lose out on half his salary, Wiggins is as shitty a teammate as he is a basketball player. 

Cut him. Take a stand. It will give him more time to put that 1 semester of KU education to work doing more “research” on the topic. 700k Americans dead wasn’t enough. He needs to get some test tubes and shit going. 

Edited by Fastbreak

12 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Would they really not have to pay him? It would be worth more to the Warriors not to cut him then. 

This is correct if there is outlet not to pay him.  You don't cut him because he wont' get the vaccine, you look at ways to suspend him without pay or to break the contract.

That’s an interesting legal question (if they can suspend, not pay, or terminate him) if his original contract contained no language about required medical treatments or vaccinations. The NBA might give GS salary cap relief, but I would guess Wiggins would win in court and still get his money from the Warriors. 

13 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

That’s an interesting legal question (if they can suspend, not pay, or terminate him) if his original contract contained no language about required medical treatments or vaccinations. The NBA might give GS salary cap relief, but I would guess Wiggins would win in court and still get his money from the Warriors. 

There are always broad code of conduct clauses in these contracts. There isn't specific language in the contract that says "don't pistolwhip your teammates", but if that happened, they would be able to cut him without pay easily.  Being unwilling to adhere to the new OSHA requirements should be pretty easy to argue and win.  

5 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

There are always broad code of conduct clauses in these contracts. There isn't specific language in the contract that says "don't pistolwhip your teammates", but if that happened, they would be able to cut him without pay easily.  Being unwilling to adhere to the new OSHA requirements should be pretty easy to argue and win.  

I haven't heard anything since the announcement of mandating employers so do we know if it has actually made it into a regulatory body's actual policy?  If not, maybe his team is keen to that?  Having a press conference about what you want to do doesn't make something a law or regulation, putting it on paper and enforcing it does.  If they haven't made it a regulation yet then the warriors probably don't have much standing right?

Kind of a side note, we had this discussion in the office today as a friend is being fired for not getting vaccinated.  She works for a 15 man PE shop.  She wants to fight them and file a lawsuit but I made the point that unlike pregnant women, minorities, LGTBQ, etc. being unvaccinated isn't an explicitly protected class of people.  I asked her if this was the hill she wanted to die on and then read some of her attorney's emails about Nuremberg and couldn't help but role my eyes.  It seems to me that the SCOTUS has already ruled that vaccine mandates are OK.  Further, I think the more fruitful argument would be to tell them you are vaccinated and then when they ask for proof make the case that an employer has no right to ask for it.  Then when it comes up in court that you lied you get fired for cause anyway.  Once again, doesn't seem like the hill to die on.

7 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Fuck Andrew Wiggins. 

It is astounding that people can have access to more pertinent information than at any point in human history and yet there are still people like this living amongst us. The Warriors aren’t winning anything with him. I would terminate the contract and let this play out in the courts. This is just absurdly selfish and cowardly behavior.

5 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Just heard on the radio that flat-earther Kyrie Irving refuses to get vaccinated.

https://sports.yahoo.com/kyrie-irving-reportedly-unvaccinated-could-212035968.html

All I am doing is laughing right now. Kyrie is that person who not only thinks they are the smartest person in the room, but can’t wait to also tell you that they are. Ban him too if he doesn’t want to do the right thing. 

Edited by UpperWestside

59 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

All I am doing is laughing right now. Kyrie is that person who not only thinks they are the smartest person in the room, but can’t wait to also tell you that they are. Ban him too if he doesn’t want to do the right thing. 

Kyrie is dumb, but he’s also a desirable basketball commodity to some.  Wiggins is just a bad contract.  If the Nets cut Kyrie his agent’s phone would blow up.  Wiggins agent would be on standby waiting for the phone to ring, and he would wait a few days before getting a few nibbles.

Wiggins ain't the only one.

A spokeswoman for Irving declined to respond to a list of questions regarding his vaccination and playing status, and Irving did not immediately respond to a message from Rolling Stone. But as teams return to pre-season training camps next week, fifty to sixty NBA players have yet to receive a single vaccine dose, league sources tell RS. Most are considered merely reluctant skeptics. Some of the holdouts, however, amount to their own shadow roster of anti-vaxxers mounting a behind-the-scenes resistance to Covid protocols — and the truth. 

Edited by Message Board User

1 hour ago, Message Board User said:

Wiggins ain't the only one.

A spokeswoman for Irving declined to respond to a list of questions regarding his vaccination and playing status, and Irving did not immediately respond to a message from Rolling Stone. But as teams return to pre-season training camps next week, fifty to sixty NBA players have yet to receive a single vaccine dose, league sources tell RS. Most are considered merely reluctant skeptics. Some of the holdouts, however, amount to their own shadow roster of anti-vaxxers mounting a behind-the-scenes resistance to Covid protocols — and the truth. 

50-60 players out of 400+. So the league is 85% vaccinated, and we're trying to make a big deal out of this? Unless LeBron out KD is in that group, their resistance isn't going to amount to shit.

5 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Ben Simmons is a bitch.

Seriously, the Sixers went all in on this bum and catered to him and he's acting this way? What a little bitch but it's to be expected these days. Whine your way off a team. Works more often than not. Is it the Sixers fault he is a 100% liability when the game gets to crunch time? He can't hit a free throw or a jumper with any consistency to save his life. 

Wouldn’t it be the NBAPA that would file suit? They are there to protect all players regardless of their thoughts or feelings or health records. It would be a massive issue that even if won in court by the league wouldn’t necessarily keep a lockout or strike from happening. 

Union going to Union right? And then if the Union doesn’t protect the minority of their members don’t the members then file suit against the Union? Need a labor law dog on this. 

Edited by Jhawk

Whatever keeps Brooklyn, Golden State, both L.A. franchises, Milwaukee, Dallas, Houston, that shitty Orlando franchise, the other shitty California team, OKC's draft picks, Memphis, the Knicks, Portland (not that we have to worry), Philadelphia, Miami, Toronto, Boston, Chicago, Atlanta, Cleveland, D.C., Detroit, Utah, Denver, Charlotte, Minnesota, and Indiana from winning the championship. If it's a strike, then lets go!

• Haha 3

I’m talking more about mechanics. The Union would protect the players rights as they are obligated to do by definition. If they didn’t then the player has beef with the Union. Given the player can fulfill their contract in basically every city but a handful I think that the Union would have to protect the player. 

it would be interesting to see which cities are mandating for venues as I don’t believe there is anything official “final final” from the feds at this moment.