2021 NBA Offseason Thread: Business as Usual? -- Trades/Free Agency/Retirements/Etc.

Patrick Bateman

4 hours ago, d2o said:

I joked about the winning by getting rid of Bledsoe but no they made some marginal improvements I guess.    I'd say CHI prolly had the best offseason so far.   Followed by the Lakers and the Heat

Adams and Bledsoe were boat anchors on our team. Bledsoe especially

3 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Simmons is the exact same player he was his rookie year. By all accounts he's spent his offseasons playing video games and dating Instagram sloots. Which is awesome but not if you are a 76ers fan.

And yet he still got a max contract. 

30 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Man, I bet the Nets feel stupid letting that core get away.  Increasing in value from like $20M to $400M - that’s like selling Amazon stock in 2009.  What idiots!

Now I was critical of them trading away their depth but there's no way they would have been able to keep/pay all those guys with KD/Kyrie let alone adding Harden

1 hour ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Dinwiddie a guy thats blown out his ACL twice and Levert who had medical issues last year? Nah I'll take Kyrie and Harden.

Levert's issues probably won't affect his basketball at all in the long run. So I'll take a bargain athletic defensive stopper center, a solid sixth man, KD, and cap space.

14 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

This is soooooo Celtics.  

Weeeelllll.........he would be an upgrade from Kemba........................kinda...............sorta........maybe..........I guess................

E990DA1C-ED89-4450-9423-086A62D45F2B.jpeg

lol. yeaaaah, that's the missing ingredient. a one dimensional, 37 year old shooter who most NBA teams wouldn't even consider adding to their roster. yeah, that's the ticket. as an NBA fan with no true allegiance to one team, thank god i have GM LeBron and his Lakers to root against. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Lmao. What was he thinking? 121df3f992217373ee707d05d55db657.jpg

Happens every year.  An agent/player overestimates their market value.  There's only so much salary cap space to go around and if you wait too long or don't have a great sense of the market, this can happen to guys.  He'll probably have to sign a 1 year deal and then go back into the market again next year.  If money is what he wants, then LA may not be the best place for him although they do have his Bird rights, but don't know their tax situation.

4 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Happens every year.  An agent/player overestimates their market value.  There's only so much salary cap space to go around and if you wait too long or don't have a great sense of the market, this can happen to guys.  He'll probably have to sign a 1 year deal and then go back into the market again next year.  If money is what he wants, then LA may not be the best place for him although they do have his Bird rights, but don't know their tax situation.

Yeah, the Lakers have basically already moved on with their acquisitions this summer.   Can't imagine a situation where they would pay him more than minimum to come back at this point and definitely won't give him any long term money with all their money tied up in LBJ/AD/Russ over the next few yrs.   His only hope is to find a team that is willing to do sign him to a bigger deal and do a S&T.    By now that team would have stepped up though so he's more than likely gonna have to swallow hard and live with knowing he passed on 84M that he realistically may never see again.    Take the one yr at that partial MLE or less and hope he gets into a situation where he can shine to try and cash next yr.

On 8/6/2021 at 9:24 AM, Llogg said:

Honestly if all they had done was add KD to replace Russell they'd be better off today.

Maybe look at their current roster. They are hilariously loaded. Take Harden and Kyrie off the team I'd still take them like +200 to win the East. 

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

Maybe look at their current roster. They are hilariously loaded. Take Harden and Kyrie off the team I'd still take them like +200 to win the East. 

I meant the overall outlook for the franchise long term, not just the coming season. That said, I really do think replacing Griffin/Jordan/Green with Jarrett Allen and Mills with Dinwiddie would make them better this year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

did BK have any draft picks? because a team that is actively paying DeAndre Jordan money probably should have drafted Jericho Sims. 

As BO stated, they traded into the back end for Thomas and then acquired Sharpe after.  The Nets are actively trying to dump Jordan's salary and were trying to do so in the Dinwiddie trade, but no takers.  With their massive TPE and with a couple of young players, I'm going to guess they're going to try and dump Jordan's expiring salary for another piece before the deadline.  

On 8/5/2021 at 10:14 PM, Aqua Buddha said:

The dude averages 14/7/7, and has a five year/$175M deal and is unwilling to learn how to shoot.  No one is interested unless something changes.

Okie City just drafted a dude who can put up those numbers and he's a rookie on a rookie deal.

The best thing that happened to Rockets organization in quite some time was Harden for Simmons never getting off the ground. 

Talked to EJ for 20-30 minutes about refinancing his house back in the early aughts.  Was passing out some leads and saw the name matched with an Atlanta address and decided to keep that one for myself.  Really nice, really funny guy.  First words out of his mouth were “what kind of shit has my wife signed me up for today.”  Didn’t close the deal, but it was time we’ll spent.

• Haha 4

On 8/12/2021 at 5:34 PM, Jive Turkey said:

What are the odds Kawhi's body isn't completely shattered by the 3rd year of that deal? 

He hasn't made it through a full NBA season in, what, 5 years? I'm not counting 2019 when he missed 22 games in the regular season. 

I mean the Clippers don't really have any choice but they are basically banking on a miracle with that contract. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

What are the odds Kawhi's body isn't completely shattered by the 3rd year of that deal? 

He hasn't made it through a full NBA season in, what, 5 years? I'm not counting 2019 when he missed 22 games in the regular season. 

I mean the Clippers don't really have any choice but they are basically banking on a miracle with that contract. 

Clippers gonna Clipper.

Kawhi is a bitch for that deal for the reasons you laid out.