2021 NBA Offseason Thread: Business as Usual? -- Trades/Free Agency/Retirements/Etc.

Patrick Bateman

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

What are the odds Kawhi's body isn't completely shattered by the 3rd year of that deal? 

He hasn't made it through a full NBA season in, what, 5 years? I'm not counting 2019 when he missed 22 games in the regular season. 

I mean the Clippers don't really have any choice but they are basically banking on a miracle with that contract. 

Yeah, and they're one Paul George injury away in any of those years from being a lottery team and Okie City owns all of their picks starting next season, where Kawhi already isn't going to play much if at all.

Edited by Aqua Buddha

11 hours ago, Message Board User said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Truth, nothing signifies giving up  more than trading for Bledsoe.     Somewhere in all these hoops threads I said "They are the Clippers, they will find a way to fuck it up" when they got Kawhi and PG.    Clips gonna clip.

6 minutes ago, d2o said:

Truth, nothing signifies giving up  more than trading for Bledsoe.     Somewhere in all these hoops threads I said "They are the Clippers, they will find a way to fuck it up" when they got Kawhi and PG.    Clips gonna clip.

I bought in for a few months after their big move, going against my usual "they're the Clippers" expectations. I'm obviously not a huge Paul George fan, but he's fine if he's your very, very clearly distant #2 guy. And I think Doc Rivers is quite possibly the most overrated coach in all of sports.

But Kawhi had just led the Raptors to a title. I don't care about the KD/Klay stuff, whatever...the fucking Toronto Raptors have an NBA Championship. LAC essentially traded Gallo and SGA for a top 5 (easily at the time) and a top 15 player on an already scrappy good playoff team. Yet...

The more shit changes...

8 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Danny Ainge has to be rolling over in his grave. 

Yeah if this is what a Brad Stevens run operation looks like then we are store for endless hilarity.   No idea why so much, why it had to be done now, why, why, why?   Good grief.

• Like 1

I love Marcus Smart but he's thrown his body around recklessly since he came into the league.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if his body starts to slowly break down and that contract looks horrible in 18 months.

People in Boston seem to think Brad Stevens is a genius but no idea why. Not like he's in a small market doing more with less. It's a city with 17 NBA championships before he joined in 2013.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

I love Marcus Smart but he's thrown his body around recklessly since he came into the league.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if his body starts to slowly break down and that contract looks horrible in 18 months.

People in Boston seem to think Brad Stevens is a genius but no idea why. Not like he's in a small market doing more with less. It's a city with 17 NBA championships before he joined in 2013.

I don’t follow closely but I thought Boston fans had turned on Stevens. Regardless, it’s crazy how Boston turned all of those Brooklyn draft picks in to not much. I remember Boston being the expected landing spot for Anthony Davis. 

1 hour ago, Irieguy said:

I don’t follow closely but I thought Boston fans had turned on Stevens. Regardless, it’s crazy how Boston turned all of those Brooklyn draft picks in to not much. I remember Boston being the expected landing spot for Anthony Davis. 

Danny fucked up a boston......literally.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

OKC has like 21 first rounders. Will they find the next Kevin Durant? Probably not and after a certain point you are as good as your best player. 

Even if they do - if he's American he'll go to Southern Cal, NY, or Miami after 6 or 7 years. 

And I'm guessing that you frown upon a system that allows the best and brightest in their profession to freely move as far away from Oklahoma as possible?

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

OKC has like 21 first rounders. Will they find the next Kevin Durant? Probably not and after a certain point you are as good as your best player. 

Even if they do - if he's American he'll go to Southern Cal, NY, or Miami after 6 or 7 years. 

If they do, it's a long game and they know that.  They know they're not going to get FA's to move there, especially if they're shitty.  Their best bet is basically what they've done.  Amass a stash of picks, draft well, and hope for some lottery luck.  They already have a borderline All Star in his third year.  If they can somehow get another 2 or 3 All-Star or borderline stars around them, then yes.  At that point they'll also be a better FA destination.

Fans overrate big markets.  The NY and Chicago teams have sucked ass for years.  Brooklyn has only been good recently.  If a team is well run and a good team, players will go there.  Joe Jerkoff Fan doesn't realize how many of these players have homes in other cities where their families actually live.  (Not really in football because of the nature of the game but in basketball and baseball, most definitely.)  They make enough money now where the city they play is irrelevant.  Chris Paul's family never left LA.  Westbrook and and Paul George both had family and houses in LA.  They all just flew private back and forth and during the offseason. (Ton of baseball players live in Nashville and Florida as well.)

Okie City is known as a good organization and players like playing there so there's that.  They just won't play there if they're terrible.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Irieguy said:

In fairness to Ainge (and I hate that guy's guts), AD (if I remember right) had told Boston and the world that he was not going to sign re-sign with Boston no matter what.

Now, it's always possible that Boston could have changed AD's mind after a year there so that he would have re-signed, but that's an awfully big risk if it meant trading Tatum and/or Brown + a shit-ton of other assets.

33 minutes ago, Llogg said:

I didn't realize he played that well last year. I wonder if that has any impact on plans for Hayward. That's 2 big contacts to guys who aren't number one options and probably not even number 2 options on a legit contender.

Charlotte was well under the cap last year and most of their young good players are about 2 or 3 years away from getting contract extensions. By that time Hayward will be in the last year of his contract and would probably be a worthwhile trade piece for teams looking to open up cap space for the following summer's free agent class.  

10 minutes ago, Llogg said:

He's an NBA caliber player. But they are losing him more than they needed to. If he wanted to leave rather than resign his replacement level player would have been cheaper.

Maybe a little cheaper but they wouldn't be better and if Williams were to get to the open market he would get more.     This is about the average salary for a starting caliber NBA player.