2021 NBA Offseason Thread: Business as Usual? -- Trades/Free Agency/Retirements/Etc.

Patrick Bateman

4 hours ago, Message Board User said:

You're being very, very generous. 

by saying that Randle is a #2 in the East? yeah i don't think so. he's definitely good enough to be a #2 on the East, and laughing at that prospect based on his first ever playoff run is way short sighted. he went from being a career role player to being THE guy in the Basketball Mecca overnight, and he struggled in his first ever playoff series. so what? plenty of guys capable of being a #2 in the East could have done worse. 

Randle, a creer fourth or fifth option in LA and NO, in his first ever season as THE guy in New York: 24.1 ppg, 10.2 reb, 6.0 ast, 1.0 blk, 81% FT, 41% 3P on 5.5 3PA. he finished 2nd in the NBA behind Rudy Gobert in defensive win shares. you're high if you don't think he's good enough to be a #2 in the East, or what's more that it's laughable.

anyone who watched Randle last year saw what a matchup nightmare he was for other teams. NYK plays him as a point-forward and surrounds him with shooters. if you play him 1v1 he will drive the lane and score at will. if you double or help he will find the open shooter/slasher and register 12 assists. and he did all of this, again, as someone who we all agree isn't even good enough to be a true #1 option. 

Randle is a burgeoning star in NY who just had an outstanding season on a brand new team while playing a brand new role, piling up stats and wins with efficiency. bring in a true no.1 to play with him, to take pressure off him, and to let him thrive doing what he's good at? come on man. y'all have got to stop shitting on players based things like one bad playoff series while completely ignoring all other context/the body of work. Randle is easily good enough to be a #2 in the East. add Giannis to NYK and see how well they do in the playoffs.

44 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Do they have any magic fairy dust to keep him healthy? He recently had to have a 2nd surgery to fix the same thing from the 1st surgery.

$7M per year -- if he's healthy he outplays that contract easily. If he's not healthy, at least he's not Trey Lyles. It's all relative, man.

Julius Randle is one of the few non-Lakers I will tune into watch. I just worry that Thibodeaux will run him into the ground eventually. I never wanted to see him leave LA, but that was on Magic for having a very public spat with him. Cool to see Randle grow into an elite player. Would be nice to see the Knicks be consistently good again. 

8 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

is there a reason GM James is surrounding Lebron with old guys that can't play defense anymore?

We’ve seen this movie before.

Lebrons team is capped out, are out of assets, and can only offer league minimum to ring-chasers who are way past the days where they were net positives on the court.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Message Board User said:

I really dont get this move.    I know he played relatively well for them but man that is a lot of money for him in a vacuum.    In the context of their cap situation it seems insane.    They still have to pay Nurkic.   They also will have to pay Covington who they just gave up 2 firsts for to get not that long ago.

3 minutes ago, d2o said:

I really dont get this move.    I know he played relatively well for them but man that is a lot of money for him in a vacuum.    In the context of their cap situation it seems insane.    They still have to pay Nurkic.   They also will have to pay Covington who they just gave up 2 firsts for to get not that long ago.

One if not both of their starting back court is leaving. Once that happens, Powell moves into his more natural SG position.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

One if not both of their starting back court is leaving. Once that happens, Powell moves into his more natural SG position.

That is kinda what I was getting to as well.   One of them certainly has to go now.  

I believe that Powell signing takes them over the cap. They had around $112M in active roster salaries (including $12M to Nurkic) before this deal. Number does not include signing rookies they just drafted. They've got maybe $20M to fill out the roster with without going over the tax line. Doesn't look like they're going to be signing any difference makers from free agency. So Dame, CJ, or both are headed elsewhere.