Firaxis' Midnight Suns (Marvel's X-Com game)

MillerEP

• 1 year later...

This was on my radar ahead of its release, as turn based tactics is my favorite genre.  But I didn't get it because I am not a huge fan of card/deck mechanics and the relationship stuff I read about seemed like some kind of JRPG mechanic that I also am not a fan of.  Finally, at this point I have no real interest in the MCU as I feel like it is 1000% over exposed.  All that said, this was on sale for 50% off during the Spring Steam sale though so I pulled the trigger.

I really like the game, although I am very early on.  You have a squad of 3 dudes out of maybe 8 total (There are 4 DLCs that add 1 hero a piece on top of the base game), one of which is you who plays a new (to me?) character called The Hunter.  There are some rough 'classes', tank/damage/support, but the characters all play fairly differently and you can build your guy in one of two directions based on dark/light choices that are sort of mass effect paragon/rogue type choices.

The environment plays a huge part in every mission, like you can pick shit up and use it or knock enemies into other enemies or battlefield hazards to great effect.  Some missions have felt a little too puzzle-y for my taste but that is a pet peeve of mine.  I don't like being rated on speed (more reward for winning in fewer turns) and this game does that.

Between missions you have a day time and night time component where you pick something to do during the day (train) and night (hangout, this is kind of weird but it works better than I thought).  Both primarily give you relationship xp but training also gives a combat boost for the character you train with on the next mission, if you take them along.  The more you do stuff with the same guys/girls you get levels that unlock bonuses.  You also build new shit from mission loot rewards that can be new gear, new abilities (cards) or new cosmetic shit.  Then there is another loot based mechanic that lets you research stuff that is fairly powerful.  

Finally, your base is kind of a small open world setting with its own quests and collectibles that unlock various stuff and also has a lot of lore type shit.