El Diablo

Aquarium Homies Thread

I'm thinking I got fucked on my fish order by the guy in Michigan. Package disappeared in transit, he's hard to get 'hold of, blah, blah, blah. So I ordered some Cobra Endlers from a reputable dealer, should be here tomorrow or maybe Friday at the latest. My 20 gallon tank has been cycled for weeks now and I just did a huge water change on it in anticipation of their arrival.

Then I get an email from the guy in MI and he's so sorry about what happened that he's sending another package with extra fish for my troubles. Okay, well, that presents a dilemma. I was going to do a species only tank and now I'm going to have TWO varieties that will breed with one another if kept together. So I can't decide what to do if this yahoo actually comes thru. Either throw them all in together and let nature take its course and see what develops over the next year or two or put one batch into my 55 gallon community tank where the only thing they can hook up with would be a Platy or a Molly. I think it's possible for them to breed with one or both of those since they're all livebearers but not totally sure. I'm leaning towards dropping them all into the one tank and just letting the mayhem happen. Will post pics once I have something to show for all this. I know you're counting on me. ;) 

I've had the ol "mix up" thing a few months back on some snails I ordered. Long story short the Post office sent them from Florida to Pennsylvania, when in fact the order needed to go from Orlando Fl, to my house in Fort Walton beach,Fl. Most things lived the 5 day travel escapade with the exception of some nassisarius snails.

I'm with you that you throw them all in the tank and let the chips fall where they may. It will be kinda of cool to see the chaos

2 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

I've had the ol "mix up" thing a few months back on some snails I ordered. Long story short the Post office sent them from Florida to Pennsylvania, when in fact the order needed to go from Orlando Fl, to my house in Fort Walton beach,Fl. Most things lived the 5 day travel escapade with the exception of some nassisarius snails.

I'm with you that you throw them all in the tank and let the chips fall where they may. It will be kinda of cool to see the chaos emoji41.png

I'm figuring that if I throw them all together that it will be a good long while before anything odd shows up. Most likely the females will show up already knocked up with their own kind and they'll keep having those same babies for a good 6 months or so until they run out of the last donors juice. It could be next summer before I see any hybrids.

I had to take the day off for an appointment and boy am I glad I did! Fish just showed up and by luck I had to push the time back on my appointment to later this afternoon so I just happened to be home when the mailman made a special delivery. He noticed they were live fish and asked his supervisor if he could go ahead and try to deliver this morning instead of waiting for the normal delivery this afternoon. 6 fish, each individually bagged and all alive! Floating in the tank now and will be getting set free soon. Fingers crossed! 

Nice, that's legit customer service right there. Our mail folks arround here wouldn't do that what so ever.

With all thos babies, it seems it's time for a bigger tank.

12 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

.With all those babies, it seems it's time for a bigger tank.

Ha, maybe not yet. Here's the whole tank. 5 of the new fish are pretty much right in the middle of the picture. I've got room for probably 5-10 times this many in here before I have to do something. :) 

DSC_6341_00001.jpg

I guess one of the ladies showed up preggers 'cause I've already found fry. This is a close up of one of those "cones" on the bottom left of the tank in the photo above.

DSC_6795_00001.jpg

Well, my ordeal with the shifty fish dealer came to a close today. The guy had said he was sorry about how the deal had gone, that my fish had gotten lost in the mail and that he'd ship me more fish. I told him to ship them today so that they would get on a truck and get gone. He said he would. When I emailed him today to ask for the tracking number his wife replied for him stating that they were both sick and couldn't do it today, that it would be tomorrow or Wednesday. I told her that that was not acceptable and that she could either find a way to ship them today or refund my money. Those were the only acceptable options. I got an email from Paypal within an hour or so and they shipped my money back to me. Woooo! I had already written it off so this is just a bonus at this point. Lot of aggravation for nothing but whatever, got dollars!

Toys came in today. Picked up a 48" reef breeders photon V2+ light, a MP40QD as well as a MP60QD. Should have more then enough light and flow for a reef tank.

My guy "Snoop" just disappeared this week, sometime between Wednesday and Saturday. The aquarium has a lot of plants, rocks and driftwood for the carcass to be hidden by but I've looked pretty thoroughly and just can't find him anywhere. I just happened to be messing with the camera on Wednesday and took this picture and he was looking good then, not showing any symptoms of anything being wrong. Just a weird deal. Sigh. I'd had him going on a year and a half and they, Pearl Gouramis, can live 4-7 years. So Saturday evening, after I'd convinced myself that he was indeed no longer a living resident, I made the trek to Petco and bought another one. New guy is about half the size, a juvenile really. RIP Snoop, you goofy bastage. Pic of new guy, as yet unnamed.

DSC_6949_00001.jpg

DSC_7266_00001.jpg

Funny timing you mention missing fish. Haven't seen my leopard goby and tiger lobster in a few days. So during Saturday's water change I noticed one of other shrimp molted... no biggie. After cleaning up sump I took a light and noticed both were under a rock with his (lobster) molt blocking the passage. So this evening I moved a bunch of rock around to get them out. But they stayed put. So I placed some small rubble under the rock ro allow them a passage.

Broke some corals along the way but15 mins ago they are were both out looking for food. So...maybe snoop is just resting from stress or such. Hope you find him though. If not RIP Snoop

Crazy how 2 different shrimp molted in the same day.

Thing I hate about losing a fish that size is that if he didn't jump out then the body is in there and rotting. No bueno. I moved some stuff around last night and still didn't find him. I've had fish go into hiding before and they'd show up a few days later so maybe he's in there. I think though that with putting a new fish in there that he'd be all over the new guy. He never bothered anyone but I had 3 other Gouramis, different variety, and he'd follow them around. Seems like he'd be curious about the new Pearl. 

4 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

Do you have a clean up crew? I've seen freshwater snails at my LFS.

I ask as I lost a Kole Tang in my 90gallon in 2009 and by the next morning it was picked clean.

Yeah, I've got several snails and some catfish that graze the bottom. I've had fish die before though and I've found their carcasses if they were decent sized. This was the biggest fish in the tank and just *poof* - gone. The snails are generally on the glass or driftwood but will sometimes be on the bottom doing cleanup duty and I looked at the couple that were and nope, no fish there. I will be keeping an eye on my parameters though just in case I get an ammonia or nitrate spike from his dead ass.

We lost a fish years ago that we didn't find until we were tearing down the tank for a move years later - he'd jumped and somehow stuck to the dry section of tank wall near the rim. Terrible way to die. Check the underside of your tank cover and under the rim of the tank. And of course, check the obvious jump-out locations, don't discount trapped between something and the wall or stuck to a wall, or hung up in water piping or power cords.