Showtime's City on a Hill

billfromlaketravis

Bacon was good, but didn’t stand out in Mystic River. Probably Tim Robbins best performance. Penn was incredible and then decided writing for the Rolling Stone was more important than acting. 

I think Bacon has been too careful in his acting choices. He was born to play a scum bag antihero. 

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Speaking of Bacon as a bad guy, don't sleep on Sleepers.

Also fairly bleak, but great cast.

Good point.  Also another trope on Boston criminal underbelly.  

Holy shit, I'm getting along in years.  I was thinking as I typed it about DeNiro, the priest on the stand showing the ticket stubs as their alibi.  And I swear he took out Celtics tickets.  And then the bar where they find Bacon years later, I swear somebody says something to the two yuppies about not talking about Republicans in a Boston pub.  But yeah, Hell's Kitchen.  Shit, my bad.  

I only saw it once on a date in the theater in undergrad, 25 years ago.  I need to rewatch it, can't believe it's been that long or that we're this old.  That cast was/is deep and talented. 

I still giggle at Dustin Hoffman telling the mobster (who was a wonderful Italian actor), "Also, I have a teeny-tiny heroin addiction." and the old guy from the park bench just says, "Go away, get it done." and goes back to feeding his birds.  And it all works out in the end.  The other guard was played by the guy who is the fixer on "billions" IIRC.  Yeah, gonna have to rewatch that this summer.  

Edited by Lobo

• 1 month later...

I made it through to the end, for which I have no one but myself to blame.  bacon’s character and acting kept me watching, but the acting of the the ADA, his wife, bacon’s wife, and the community activist/mother of the two kids in the projects was all on par with a B-level daytime soap opera.  a lot of the dialogue was crap too.  

• 5 months later...

I finished Season 2. Goodness, what a bleak show. Every character except for Benny and Faustino (maybe?) are doomed. 

Damon and Affleck are probably just marginally involved, but there’s none of the humor or hope of Good Will Hunting. Another Showtime Boston show that is horribly depressing. Wish, rinse, and repeat from Brotherhood.