SNF: Saints @ Bucs

shadow_operative2.0

9 hours ago, Blotto said:

Thats kind of my point. I'm not arguing that he shouldnt be in the NFL, as the roster flexibility he provides is worthwhile. But every time he plays, the announcers trip all over each other getting in line to suck him off, and I don't get it. He's basically a RB that can catch, and there are a shitload of those  in the NFL that do that better than Taysom Hill. If he was so exceptional, I would expect more than 300 yds from scrimmage every year. Just overhyped imo when you consider his contract details

image.thumb.png.49573e9b71550bf33434c1f279ef046e.png

One of the best run franchises in the league with a top 3-5 general manager in the game felt he was worth a pretty decent sized contract. I'm unconvinced as to Taysom being the QB of the future, but he's a significant contributor to the Saints team.

14 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

One of the best run franchises in the league with a top 3-5 general manager in the game felt he was worth a pretty decent sized contract. I'm unconvinced as to Taysom being the QB of the future, but he's a significant contributor to the Saints team.

I guess where we differ is in the definition of the word significant. He could have overslept and missed the game yesterday and the Saints still run it up on the Bucs. Updated 2020 stats: 8 games played, 80 yds passing, 141 yds rushing, 74 yds receiving. 

Edit - and he's already 30 years old, so if they are hoping he grows into a complete QB, what kind of schedule are we on here? 

Edited by Blotto

1 minute ago, Blotto said:

I guess where we differ is in the definition of the word significant. He could have overslept and missed the game yesterday and the Saints still run it up on the Bucs. Updated 2020 stats: 8 games played, 80 yds passing, 141 yds rushing, 74 yds receiving. 

He's also the backup QB (one of the better ones out there) and plays special teams where he's had a bunch of key plays over the years. Dude is a player.

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

He's also the backup QB (one of the better ones out there) and plays special teams where he's had a bunch of key plays over the years. Dude is a player.

205 career passing yds makes you one of the better back up QBs in the league? Strange that last season when Brees was hurt, they decided not to use this guy and instead started Bridgewater. If Brees goes down this year, who gets the nod...Hill or crab legs?

Just now, Blotto said:

205 career passing yds makes you one of the better back up QBs in the league? Strange that last season when Brees was hurt, they decided not to use this guy and instead started Bridgewater. If Brees goes down this year, who gets the nod...Hill or crab legs?

Bridgewater got the start because it didn't require Payton to change the offensive system from Brees, as Bridgewater is a similar style QB to Brees and Hill is not. That, and because Bridgewater is really fucking good. Being beaten out by a guy who is now looking like an above average starter in the league is not a knock on Hill.

If Brees goes out, Hill will 100% be the QB this year.

18 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Bridgewater got the start because it didn't require Payton to change the offensive system from Brees, as Bridgewater is a similar style QB to Brees and Hill is not. That, and because Bridgewater is really fucking good. Being beaten out by a guy who is now looking like an above average starter in the league is not a knock on Hill.

If Brees goes out, Hill will 100% be the QB this year.

Perhaps. As I stated, he belongs in the league of 1700 players. My only observation was that he was the most overhyped player in the league based on production. I don't think he can every throw well enough to warrant a starting QB job, so he's basically a back up running back with 800 yds of production running/receiving in his 4th NFL season. As I roll with Brees and Kamara on my fantasy team, I hope I don't have to find out the answer to my question of Hill or Winston in the backup roll. Thread derail over. 

2 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Perhaps. As I stated, he belongs in the league of 1700 players. My only observation was that he was the most overhyped player in the league based on production. I don't think he can every throw well enough to warrant a starting QB job, so he's basically a back up running back with 800 yds of production running/receiving in his 4th NFL season. As I roll with Brees and Kamara on my fantasy team, I hope I don't have to find out the answer to my question of Hill or Winston in the backup roll. Thread derail over. 

That's fair. I don't know if he's really over hyped because I don't watch a lot of Sports media. I know most Saints fans including myself do have doubts as to whether he's accurate enough to be a legit starter in the NFL. Most of us feel like Payton has earned the benefit of the doubt in that area, though. 

Hill is the backup. 100%. He got first team snaps this past week when Brees was questionable with injury. Although in FF I wouldn't want to roll Hill or Winston out there. If Brees goes down Payton will do what he did with Teddy; go to an incredibly conservative ball-control offense and try to win games 17-14. 

59 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

That's fair. I don't know if he's really over hyped because I don't watch a lot of Sports media. I know most Saints fans including myself do have doubts as to whether he's accurate enough to be a legit starter in the NFL. Most of us feel like Payton has earned the benefit of the doubt in that area, though. 

Hill is the backup. 100%. He got first team snaps this past week when Brees was questionable with injury. Although in FF I wouldn't want to roll Hill or Winston out there. If Brees goes down Payton will do what he did with Teddy; go to an incredibly conservative ball-control offense and try to win games 17-14. 

This.  As I said upthread he has to be accounted for.  Is he going to throw it, run it, catch it or be a decoy or just a lead blocker?  It's all something for a defense to account for and when you also have AK on the team it's a lot for a defense to think about.  His value doesn't show up in the numbers he puts up but in a league where winning and losing can come down to a couple plays (saints had 3 straight fg wins before last night) he's worth the money for what he adds.