iOS device battery replacement

Educate me on whether its worth buying new batteries in an iphone or ipad.  I'm happy with both except the battery is no where as efficient as it used to be. The iphone is about 3 years old and the ipad 2. 

If you've done it, did you find it was worth the hassle and cost? 

I have chargers always around but hate having to constantly keep the devices plugged in. And would prefer not to buy a new device if possible.

costs for Iphone battery replacements. $49 for old design (fat forehead, chin bezels, home button) phones, $69 for new design phones.

https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/service/battery-power

the questions are, what about the newer devices makes it better than the device you have and are those differences compelling enough to shell out 700-1200 for a new device (phone)? from a iphone stand point, the main difference will be the camera system (better pics, night shots, wide angle) and save a few nano seconds when opening apps and using the phone. if you are on an 8 or before then the screen/phone design change may be a compelling reason on it's own. the other reason will be software OS support. Apple does a GREAT job supporting older devices so even if your Iphone is 3 years old, it will be supported for another 2 or 3 years.

so regarding the iphone, unless you just need a new phone or need the new camera system because you take tons of pics, then i would pay the $69 to extend the life of your existing phone for another 2-3 years. that's way cheaper than $500-1200 of newer phones (depending on model). if you are eligible for one of the carrier deals where you can get the new Iphone for a fraction of MSRP, then I would get a new phone.

ipad batt replacement is $99.

https://support.apple.com/ipad/repair/service

there are deals for the new ipad 8 32GB for $280, 128GB for $360. BF deals may be even better. the A12 chipset on the ipad 8 will future proof that ipad for many many years. i don't see the use case for tablets and ipads changing anywhere beyond what the A12 can ably handle. batt replacements for ipads are over 1/3 of the cost of new ipads. that for me, that's a no brainer decision if i have a really old ipad.

i know apple locked down internal components. for example, the new 12 cameras are locked to the motherboard so no one besides an apple certified repair shop can change it. with that said, i'm not sure if apple ever locked down batteries. so you may be able to take it to a non apple repair shop to change batteries for less than what apple is charging. but just know that you probably will NOT get an OEM replacement battery. 

43 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

costs for Iphone battery replacements. $49 for old design (fat forehead, chin bezels, home button) phones, $69 for new design phones.

https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/service/battery-power

the questions are, what about the newer devices makes it better than the device you have and are those differences compelling enough to shell out 700-1200 for a new device (phone)? from a iphone stand point, the main difference will be the camera system (better pics, night shots, wide angle) and save a few nano seconds when opening apps and using the phone. if you are on an 8 or before then the screen/phone design change may be a compelling reason on it's own. the other reason will be software OS support. Apple does a GREAT job supporting older devices so even if your Iphone is 3 years old, it will be supported for another 2 or 3 years.

so regarding the iphone, unless you just need a new phone or need the new camera system because you take tons of pics, then i would pay the $69 to extend the life of your existing phone for another 2-3 years. that's way cheaper than $500-1200 of newer phones (depending on model). if you are eligible for one of the carrier deals where you can get the new Iphone for a fraction of MSRP, then I would get a new phone.

ipad batt replacement is $99.

https://support.apple.com/ipad/repair/service

there are deals for the new ipad 8 32GB for $280, 128GB for $360. BF deals may be even better. the A12 chipset on the ipad 8 will future proof that ipad for many many years. i don't see the use case for tablets and ipads changing anywhere beyond what the A12 can ably handle. batt replacements for ipads are over 1/3 of the cost of new ipads. that for me, that's a no brainer decision if i have a really old ipad.

i know apple locked down internal components. for example, the new 12 cameras are locked to the motherboard so no one besides an apple certified repair shop can change it. with that said, i'm not sure if apple ever locked down batteries. so you may be able to take it to a non apple repair shop to change batteries for less than what apple is charging. but just know that you probably will NOT get an OEM replacement battery. 

thanks for the detailed thoughts.

your reply is spot-on with what I was thinking. As for my iphone, work will eventually buy me a new one, but it may take until my model is no longer supported. And honesty, I'm ok with my iphone 8. Sure I would take a better camera option but its not a big deal to me especially now that I work from home, and use Teams for work calls.

In many ways, the ipad is bigger deal to me and I use it more than my phone so having a more powerful ipad would be useful. and my current ipad has some value to offset the cost of new model.

Deals on ipads.

https://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php?src=SearchBarV2&q=ipad&searcharea=deals&searchin=first

For me the main issue with the base Ipad is the storage option: 32 or 128 Gigs, $280 vs $360.  32 GB seems way too small. I found a open box Ipad Air 3 at Micro Center for $330. It was no brainer because it's for my daughter who wants to use it to take notes. Supposedly it's a better experience using the pen on a laminate screen vs a non laminate screen due to the gap. The Air 3's laminate screen vs the base Ipads non-lam screen and the 64 GB of storage in the Air 3 made it a no brainer for me to get the Air 3 over the Ipad 8. Same chip, better screen (lam and a tad larger).

if the screen matters, then you may want to see if there are any deals left on Air 3s.

If you have any mechanical inclination, do it yourself.  Lots of batteries will come with the tools to do it.  An iPhone battery can be replaced for less than $30.  The only issue I've had with them is the tape strips that hold them in breaking when I'm trying to remove them.  And they are a super strong adhesive.  If you do it yourself, only put one strip back when you replace the battery.

If you are going to replace the battery on the iPad, look at the cost of the glass and the battery vs what you would pay someone to do it, because you are going to break the glass removing it.