Fred Akers passes away at age 82

satyanash

15 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

Love that someone else remembered these. It’s hard to believe these days, but back then instead of a Monday press conference the head football coach at the University of Texas would come to a lunch at the Student Union that was open to the public. Students could attend, it was like going to an Optimists Club Meeting. The coach would talk about the game and the team, and people could ask them questions. A different age. 

Would recommend the On Second Thought podcast this week. Bohls and Golden interview Lawrence Sampleton, Tony Degrate, and Robert Brewer about Coach Akers. 

My family used to get a chuckle out of his Sunday post-game show. The host would ask a question, then Fred would turn directly at the camera to give his answer to the viewers instead of addressing both the host and the viewer at home.

1 hour ago, El Squared said:

His first year ,1977, was my freshman year at UT.

DKR had just retired and I think that season was 5-5-1.

Nobody thought we would do shit. Earl was back however and that changed everything.

Even though we had 2 QBs knocked out in the sooner game, we won with the 3rd stringer, and crushed the rest of the season. 

Russell Erxleben was the kicker and kicked a 67 yd field goal vs Rice. Brad Shearer won the Outland trophy that season. It was blast until getting smashed by domer in the cold cold Cotton Bowl (Joe Montana? IIRC).

Anyway, lots of winning. His last season was 8-3 (too lazy to look up).

Very good times. RIP..

Fred's last season he was 5-6, I was there at his last game, a loss to Aggy.  Many aggy had the shoe polish signs on their cars "keep Fred".  

Edited by orangecat92

1 hour ago, El Squared said:

I was on the Drag shortly after the OU  game was over and people we going apeshit, running up to girls in cars kissing complete strangers, horns honking, Chinese fire drills , etc...it was all spontaneous and crazy. Lots of people got laid that night and lots of people threw up.

I attended that Texas/OU game after having my first Dallas police encounter on Commerce Street the night before -- not formally arrested but detained a bit.  There were lots of Drag parties after that.  Especially when Earl won the Heisman.  

On 12/8/2020 at 2:21 PM, Txslnghrns said:

b2ffbc35043429e9127523891ac086e8.jpg
Definitely hits close to home. Received these from Mark Petcovik and Coach Akers when I was 8 years old. The photo on the right was signed by the man himself. I have read many stories about how gracious Coach was with his time. And although I didn’t get to meet him personally, the fact that he took even a few seconds to sign a picture meant the world to an 8 year old kid. RIP Coach.

Endorsed!  My high school friend who went to UT and became a writer for the Statesman said that Fred knew the  full names of every reporter present when doing post game interviews.  Class act who represented the University with pride and dignity.  RIP Coach Akers and thanks for all you did while leading the Longhorns.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

Jim Wacker and Kenneth Davis got them to 8-4 in 1984 and they promptly got busted for it and went on probation. 

Dick Lowe, Chris Farkas, and others were the bagmen during this time for TCU.  Fred saw that their return on investment was negative.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, this is the place to put this.  I thought about Fred earlier and posted a reminder of the Freedom Bowl massacre in 1984, a 55-17 ass-kicking by Iowa.  Fred is smiling in heaven about now, because Texas put up 55 points at the Alamo Bowl, and nearly matched the 17 allowed in 1984 as well.  It seems fitting and very interesting that the team wore the FA on the helmet and put up 55 points in a bowl game victory nobody cared much about, eerily similar to the 1984 Freedom Bowl. 

RIP Fred and enjoy the 55 on the other side! 

• Hook 'Em 1