Big 12! Big 12! Big 12! Big 12! Big 12! Big 12! Big 12! Big 12! Big 12! Big 12! Big 12! Big 12! Big 12! Big 12! Big 12!

Hornius Emeritus

College ball is different from the NFL, cause the Eagles winning the Super Bowl doesn't affect seeding the next year. 

Course, ESPN keeps their thumbs, both hands, their feet and their butts on the scale, so the SEC will always be over represented. 

For colleges, next year the PAC 12 will be in an almost impossible position, as far as getting teams in the playoffs (I mean, aside from the fact that none of the teams are good.) Their conference champion got smoked by the Big 12 runner up. Those five B12 victories will boost rankings at the start of next year. 

Back when I cared about the NFL (thanks Jerry, for freeing up my Sundays) I wanted the Eagles to lose every game they played, and wanted Andy Reid to get his butt stuck in the bathtub and have to call the fire department. Yesterday, if Dallas had won early, people who still give a flip about the Cowboys would have been rooting for the Eagles to win, cause it would have put Dallas in the playoffs. 

I don't like OU, BUT them beating Florida helped the Big 12 image, and it will help with bowl seeding next year. 

11 minutes ago, Richard Kimball said:

College ball is different from the NFL, cause the Eagles winning the Super Bowl doesn't affect seeding the next year. 

Course, ESPN keeps their thumbs, both hands, their feet and their butts on the scale, so the SEC will always be over represented. 

For colleges, next year the PAC 12 will be in an almost impossible position, as far as getting teams in the playoffs (I mean, aside from the fact that none of the teams are good.) Their conference champion got smoked by the Big 12 runner up. Those five B12 victories will boost rankings at the start of next year. 

Back when I cared about the NFL (thanks Jerry, for freeing up my Sundays) I wanted the Eagles to lose every game they played, and wanted Andy Reid to get his butt stuck in the bathtub and have to call the fire department. Yesterday, if Dallas had won early, people who still give a flip about the Cowboys would have been rooting for the Eagles to win, cause it would have put Dallas in the playoffs. 

I don't like OU, BUT them beating Florida helped the Big 12 image, and it will help with bowl seeding next year. 

Undefeated Oregon with a win over tOSU gets in. If you were to amend this statement to say a 1-loss team basically has no shot, I'd be on board.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, TommyGufano said:

Undefeated Oregon with a win over tOSU gets in. If you were to amend this statement to say a 1-loss team basically has no shot, I'd be on board.

Amended. 

IMHO, just about any undefeated P5 will get in. One loss teams, it really comes back to conference reputation, and, of course, long term team reputation. 

43 minutes ago, Richard Kimball said:

Agreed. XII going undefeated helps our collective image and will help in recruiting battles against non-XII teams. I think that nets out better than one blow-U win.

I know this post is sarcasm, but just want to state the obvious that conference bowl records in any given year are meaningless. Nobody will remember next fall, or even next week. Some years we’ll do good, some years we’ll do bad. The matchups try to be even but often are not. It’s also hard to compare P5 and G5 so sometimes they’re lopsided one way or the other. The only way foe any conference to gain as much respect as sec is to run off a bunch of MNCs and to do so by more than 1 or 2 schools. ACC has no respect despite the fact that Clemson has been dominant and FSU won an MNC fairly recently.

On 1/5/2021 at 11:35 AM, 'stache said:

I know this post is sarcasm, but just want to state the obvious that conference bowl records in any given year are meaningless. Nobody will remember next fall, or even next week. Some years we’ll do good, some years we’ll do bad. The matchups try to be even but often are not. It’s also hard to compare P5 and G5 so sometimes they’re lopsided one way or the other. The only way foe any conference to gain as much respect as sec is to run off a bunch of MNCs and to do so by more than 1 or 2 schools. ACC has no respect despite the fact that Clemson has been dominant and FSU won an MNC fairly recently.

this is untrue especially for top teams in the P5 conferences

the higher ranked you are to end the season the higher ranked you will be to start the next season

there will be a minimal attempt to adjust for players leaving, but for the top teams especially that adjustment will not be and much as for a mid tier team

but even for mid tier teams the higher ranked to end the season the better you will be looked at for the rankings the next season

that no one gives a shit about much more is if you beat 3 G5 teams and a D1-AA team to get a large part of your wins and then had a bowl win to get to 9 or more wins....they care about 9 or more wins in a top conference and getting in the top 25 with that helps the next year

and for the top teams in the conference the more ranked teams there are in the conference the better for them to stay higher ranked and to move up as other conferences have teams lose

and the MAJOR issue that harms the Big 12 is the fact of starting conference play sooner because of being stupid and playing 9 conference games while other conferences go an extra week with OOC games.....or in the case of one save a week or two of D1-AA games until late in the season to get easy wins while other conferences are well into conference games and knocking each other down in the rankings