The Greatness of Johnny Flynn - Folk Singer/Actor

Mileslong

I have turned so many people on to this guy and no one has ever heard of him before.  they may have seen him in some movies or TV series like Genius where he played young Einstein.  Born in south Africa and lives in England.  First heard him when watching the TV show Detectorists.  He wrote and performed the theme song.

He is just a musical genius, writes all his own music, mainly folk and is a talented actor as well.  Usually writes music for all the movies he is in.  Here are a couple of clips of some tunes, such a great voice and deep lyrics.  He is so humble and unassuming, just he and his resonating guitar tied to his shoulder strap with a string. Performs with a number of other artists like Mumford and Sons.  Hope you enjoy his music as much as i do.

Theme song for Detectorists

With recording artist Laura Marling

With his sister who is also a recording artist

Incredibly underrated, and glad that Detectorists got him a bunch of fans.

Here's the extended season 3 cut of the theme, referencing the magpie in season 3, with the last verse:

• Would you drift o'er the rolling fields for me
  • Hoard me in the highest bough
  • I'll be your treasure
  • But in history's rhyme there's a place and a time
  • and a truth to the gold that the folds cannot hold
  • I'm waiting for you
  • I'm waiting for you

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Incredibly underrated, and glad that Detectorists got him a bunch of fans.
Here's the extended season 3 cut of the theme, referencing the magpie in season 3, with the last verse:
  • Would you drift o'er the rolling fields for me
  • Hoard me in the highest bough
  • I'll be your treasure
  • But in history's rhyme there's a place and a time
  • and a truth to the gold that the folds cannot hold
  • I'm waiting for you
  • I'm waiting for you

That’s what’s so amazing about him to me. They’re like “ we have a comedy show about metal detectorists, now write a them song for the show. And he comes up with this jewel that is beautiful and moving. True genius

1 hour ago, Mileslong said:

That’s what’s so amazing about him to me. They’re like “ we have a comedy show about metal detectorists, now write a them song for the show. And he comes up with this jewel that is beautiful and moving. True genius

Especially when that last verse refers to a story arc that plays out over multiple episodes over the 3rd season, and yet he covers it in only a handful of lines.

And I don't think the series would be nearly as good or popular without that song - it just set the tone for the whole series.  Kind of like Bear McCreary and Battlestar Galactica or Johnny Mandel and Michael Altman for MASH, etc..  

But I digress, this will turn into a love letter for The Detectorists.

• Like 1