Job ideas for 60 year old

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Maybe my sarcasmometer is broken.  If you meant this in jest, then just ignore my reply.

Through the years I've retired many employees from what is a very fast paced, growth driven, sometimes stressful work environment.  It gets in your blood to crave that challenge every day. By an overwhelming margin, the folks who had major hobbies/ activities/ or other stimulation(hey-oh) have been the happy, thriving retirees. Now that's not limited to income generation, as it could be running a motorcycle club, golfing twice a week with buddies, Knights of Columbus, or anything like that where it's a regular activity that they can anticipate, participate, and reflect upon on a regular basis. I've known a few that just sat around watching TV and eating ho-hos and they very quickly got bored beyond belief and were miserable.

I'll be eligible for full retirement in 4 years at 55.  At that point, I'll have 32 years of service, and even if I decide to change directions; it scares the bejeebers out of me that my health might decline and my general happiness could be endangered.  That's not some sick loyalty to my employer, because I might very well change fields; but I recognize that activity and daily grind does in fact have benefits.  Andy Dufresne wasn't just talking about Shawshank with his famous line.

Retirement shouldn’t just be retiring from your job, it should be retiring to something. And if you don’t need the income, there are plenty of volunteer jobs that most likely will be happy to have you.

and one extra item, When you get to 50 in a corporation, start checking out how people older than you leave. I’ve worked for several corps that frequently kick people out by late 50s. Many of them were not financially ready to leave but made it work. Make sure you’re understand the most likely result for you.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie