Job ideas for 60 year old

My 60 yr old uncle is finally leaving his job as an ads salesman for a tiny print publication in Cleveland, where he has worked for 30 years. His commissions and salary are basically below the poverty line.

Any ideas on some jobs he should apply for? He's an extremely friendly person and great with people. His ad sales role involved him working directly on customer relations for decades. He's also in good physical shape. He has essentially no technology skills though and his car is shit. Amazon warehouse or delivery comes to mind, but I know employees are treated horribly. Something that leverages his positive personality (everyone loves him) and/or good physical shape makes the most sense.

Security. People skills are a valuable tool and if he's any kind of competent he'll advance fast.

Stay TF away from anything Amazon or delivery. They run you to death non-stop.

Edited by RPM
  • Like 1

P&C Insurance in an existing agency setting. If he's willing to learn the basics of P&C (mainly Home & Auto), his prior experience checks the commission sales and people boxes.   And depending on the agency, he could make well above the poverty line in commission only sales down the road.  He just needs to up his computer skills to familiarize himself to quoting and binding platforms, maybe some basic Word/Outlook and that's about it.  Doesn't need to take weeks long course training on EXCEL or Office 360.  In fact in some agencies, the agent just needs to make the sale and they let their staff do all the building of quotes and the after bind work.  

Art gallery/Art shows selling some established artist's stuff. Shows can be hell physically and about the time that artists get popular, they get sick of hauling stuff and setting it up.

If he thinks he's old at 60, maybe sell things where he'll be the young guy in the room. Or hell, sell to young people if he's got the Bernie vibe.

1 hour ago, Theo Huxtable said:

My 60 yr old uncle is finally leaving his job as an ads salesman for a tiny print publication in Cleveland, where he has worked for 30 years. His commissions and salary are basically below the poverty line.

Any ideas on some jobs he should apply for? He's an extremely friendly person and great with people. His ad sales role involved him working directly on customer relations for decades. He's also in good physical shape. He has essentially no technology skills though and his car is shit. Amazon warehouse or delivery comes to mind, but I know employees are treated horribly. Something that leverages his positive personality (everyone loves him) and/or good physical shape makes the most sense.

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

He also needs to get a computer and learn how to use it.   Maybe the local community college or senior center has classes. 

He may not need advanced skills but hopefully he feels somewhat comfortable with a keyboard. Nothing worse than the stereotypical older man that is looking over and under his reading glasses to type one key. Then checking what was typed on the screen before proceeding to the next letter.  

I'm sure there is a good fit for him somewhere but 60s, ad salesman and small publication experience all scream extinction to me.

As suggested, car sales might be a good fit if he doesn't mind starting at the bottom and taking orders (& crap) from a 25 year old sales manager. He most likely will need to be a quick learner on the dealer technology, terminology and processes.

Google offers free online training but I imagine this is somewhat tech and marketing oriented: https://grow.google/

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

6 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

The reality is no one is hiring a 60 YO regardless of experience. The exception is for a Walmart greeter or something similar.

RIght now ?  I'd argue that point.  Gimme a 60 yr old that wants to work over somebody under 30 who doesn't know shit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

RIght now ?  I'd argue that point.  Gimme a 60 yr old that wants to work over somebody under 30 who doesn't know shit.

Depends. I assume you're a late 40s+ hiring manager. You're open to that idea.  Put a 60 year old in front of a 30 YO manager and they aren't getting hired.  The yutes are bringing a lot of age biases into the workplace that's pretty surprising for being woke about everything.

45 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Depends. I assume you're a late 40s+ hiring manager. You're open to that idea.  Put a 60 year old in front of a 30 YO manager and they aren't getting hired.  The yutes are bringing a lot of age biases into the workplace that's pretty surprising for being woke about everything.

In a corporate setting yeah definitely. The country, first world has experienced a paradigm shift that happens every 20 years or so it seems now.

Based on the need for employees in the small business, and service sectors right now, and lots of people staying home on gov't funded covid relief dollars. The need for employees in those sectors in particular, is off the charts.  A 60 year old in good shape, and can "deal with the customers dammit !" should find employment fairly easily.

In this country if you're over 50, your new hire employment opportunities in the corporate world are fast dwindling.  That's a pretty bad business model IMO.

EDIT: And I'm a late 50's, self employed, architect.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

44 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Kind of agree

Mom and Pop, aka Small Business would take more of a chance vs Corporate like situation.   Heck as someone who was in their Mid 40's a few years ago having to face the job market after 23 years in the same company, I'm certain I got thrown into the pile of Olds here locally.   I went ahead and created my own job anyway.

Edited by Nueces River Rat
  • Like 1

Echo what other people said about boning up on computer skills.  That's almost essential.  For example my company has an opening for a shipping coordinator (ie guy who runs the mailroom).  It pays about $40K and is a good job, but half of it is preparing labels, using the Fedex website and documenting shipments.  

Even working in an auto parts store, you have to use the computer.

What about like property management? Airbnb/VRBO rentals mostly all have property management companies to take care of their shit. Is he married to staying in Cleveland? Even so I bet there would be opportunities for a friendly older busybody type. I'm totally stereotyping but you know I'm right. 

Maybe he could get into home improvement related sales (siding, roofs, screened in porches, etc). I know someone in it and it does seem to pay decently. Don’t think there is too much computer work and you get to be with people face to face. Lots of driving though, usually a large territory to cover.

Echo what other people said about boning up on computer skills.  That's almost essential.  For example my company has an opening for a shipping coordinator (ie guy who runs the mailroom).  It pays about $40K and is a good job, but half of it is preparing labels, using the Fedex website and documenting shipments.  

Even Walmart is going to make you do computer based training. The time clock is probably computer based too.

On 7/7/2021 at 11:52 AM, Theo Huxtable said:

President of Texas A&M University. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

In this country if you're over 50, your new hire employment opportunities in the corporate world are fast dwindling.

if you're 50+ and are not applying for a corp leadership role, you better have some specialized skill that the company needs. i don't think it's impossible to find a job at 50+, but they're not going to hire you and then train you to do the job. They might do that for someone younger but 50+ you should know what you're doing. 

Given the current worker shortage, I imagine a 60 year old could find something if only based on the idea they will reliably show up everyday.  But honesty, I can't tell from the OP what skills his uncle has, outside of being an ad salesman. Whatever that entails in 2021.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

if you're 50+ and are not applying for a corp leadership role, you better have some specialized skill that the company needs. i don't think it's impossible to find a job at 50+, but they're not going to hire you and then train you to do the job. They might do that for someone younger but 50+ you should know what you're doing. 

Given the current worker shortage, I imagine a 60 year old could find something if only based on the idea they will reliably show up everyday.  But honesty, I can't tell from the OP what skills his uncle has, outside of being an ad salesman. Whatever that entails in 2021.

For sure. Once you hit 50 you better bring some damned strong experience value to a corporation. 

My comments have all been related to the worker shortage in the service industries for the most part though.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Exception - CEO.  They'll hire any asshole and pay them whatever they ask.

9 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

First day on the job...

hqdefault.jpg

3 hours ago, miguelito said:

Does he know anything about plants?  I've always thought it would be fun to work at a nursery/garden center.

And he gives an edgy young woman who is hanging out near the soil some gardening pointers to help with her herb garden, and next thing you know it’s a Weeds/The Mule situation. The task force catches up to them, but not before he learns to live, love, and be loved again. She’s climbing out the bathroom window of a cheap motel with the suitcase, he’s telling her “it’s been a wild ride dear but this is where we part ways”.  Does a 2 year bit on a “he’s so old” defense. The gate clinks as he walks out of the prison a free man. She’s waiting outside leaned up against against a GTO with a smirk - she waited for him. The story gets optioned by Netflix, he should be pretty well set at that point.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Celery Man said:

And he gives an edgy young woman who is hanging out near the soil some gardening pointers to help with her herb garden, and next thing you know it’s a Weeds/The Mule situation. The task force catches up to them, but not before he learns to live, love, and be loved again. She’s climbing out the bathroom window of a cheap motel with the suitcase, he’s telling her “it’s been a wild ride dear but this is where we part ways”.  Does a 2 year bit on a “he’s so old” defense. The gate clinks as he walks out of the prison a free man. She’s waiting outside leaned up against against a GTO with a smirk - she waited for him. The story gets optioned by Netflix, he should be pretty well set at that point.

sounds like an alternate version of the road goes on forever and the party never ends....

On 7/7/2021 at 1:41 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

. Nothing worse than the stereotypical older man that is looking over and under his reading glasses to type one key. Then checking what was typed on the screen before proceeding to the next letter.  

Hey, that ain’t so nice!

• Haha 1

Surly man’s company considers $20/hr, with some actual skills, a good job but can’t fill it.

60256660042af8dcc20ee6f25fe714f0.jpg

56 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Surly man’s company considers $20/hr, with some actual skills, a good job but can’t fill it.

60256660042af8dcc20ee6f25fe714f0.jpg

It’s an entry level job that only requires a high school diploma.  The guy who has done it for the last year and a half applied for got promoted to a computer lab job.  That’s why we have an opening.  The older guy before him did it for 10 years, but he was probably making $50k when he left.

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

On 7/7/2021 at 1:22 PM, ztejas said:

Sounds like he's old and has his health... what's he want with a job?

Maybe my sarcasmometer is broken.  If you meant this in jest, then just ignore my reply.

Through the years I've retired many employees from what is a very fast paced, growth driven, sometimes stressful work environment.  It gets in your blood to crave that challenge every day. By an overwhelming margin, the folks who had major hobbies/ activities/ or other stimulation(hey-oh) have been the happy, thriving retirees. Now that's not limited to income generation, as it could be running a motorcycle club, golfing twice a week with buddies, Knights of Columbus, or anything like that where it's a regular activity that they can anticipate, participate, and reflect upon on a regular basis. I've known a few that just sat around watching TV and eating ho-hos and they very quickly got bored beyond belief and were miserable.

I'll be eligible for full retirement in 4 years at 55.  At that point, I'll have 32 years of service, and even if I decide to change directions; it scares the bejeebers out of me that my health might decline and my general happiness could be endangered.  That's not some sick loyalty to my employer, because I might very well change fields; but I recognize that activity and daily grind does in fact have benefits.  Andy Dufresne wasn't just talking about Shawshank with his famous line.