Grading the Team’s Performance Week 4

hpslugga

Just now, Bevo said:

Kind of a big contrast between the offense and defense. Not too worried about not winning the 4th when it looked like we were actively trying not to score on at least the last drive.

I mean yeah there's that and also that Tech's TD was against the UT 2nd/3rd team D when it didn't matter. For all intents and purposes, the offense played a perfect game. If anyone wants to try to gin up some positives about the defensive performance, again a lot of the damage Tech did was when the game was well in hand and even then some of those were "almosts." For example, that 3.8- yards per carry? Tech hit 3.9. They also converted one more first down that would have been mathematically acceptable (38% when the max is 35%). 

One thing I've noticed is that the D always ends up doing two things in the game that somewhat forgives the low score. So for example in the Rice game, they only graded 10/20, but they forced 5 3-and-outs and pitched a shutout. I'll take it. In the Tech game, they only got 5/20 but got two turnovers and scored on D. Again I'll take it, especially when you're talking about a 35-point win and a defensive score sheet being ruined by garbage time stuff in the second half. 

When you have an offense this efficient at getting TD's, what you need out of the defense is for it to answer the bell just a handful of times and you come out with comfy wins. 

Can't wait to see what Thompson and this stable of RB's can do against a TCU team that just took SMU up its ass in the run game.

• Hook 'Em 1

Please consider that a lot of those defensive metrics are hard-coded numbers. Texas Tech's offense had the ball 13 times (11 not counting end of halves). Obviously I saw the three coverage busts that led to easy points like everyone else, and aren't excusing those. I'm just pointing out that Tech still has a competent offense, and they had lots of sequences with the football. We may have done Tech a favor by making them switch QBs.