Term Limits

wildcat09

5 hours ago, slorch said:

Are you suggesting a test of competency?  Would love to hear more, and I'm not sure I disagree.

If so, how would you implement it?  Just saying someone is too old is bullshit.

While I like the idea, there would be calls of racism, even tough I'm pretty sure quite a few from both sides wouldn't pass a civics test.  But there should be standards that potential politicians should pass to run the country, state, etc.  I participate in environmental cleanups and am currently in a Masters Naturalist Class learning about fauna and invasive species, along with pesticides, whatever.  That dousn't make me qualified to run for office in my town.  But maybe community service or a certain amount of community service hours should be a threshold as well, like pilot hours for a pilot's license.  I also feel like an established residency should be part of the standard for running for office.

Edited by Mdhorn

22 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

While I like the idea, there would be calls of racism, even tough I'm pretty sure quite a few from both sides wouldn't pass a civics test.  But there should be standards that potential politicians should pass to run the country, state, etc.  I participate in environmental cleanups and am currently in a Masters Naturalist Class learning about fauna and invasive species, along with pesticides, whatever.  That dousn't make me qualified to run for office in my town.  But maybe community service or a certain amount of community service hours should be a threshold as well, like pilot hours for a pilot's license.  I also feel like an established residency should be part of the standard for running for office.

How many hours of community service do you think should be required? 50? 100? 500? What sorts of people have the time to spare doing that much community service?

Adding requirements like this ALWAYS ends up making it harder for normal people to run for and hold office. You want people to pass some sort of civics test? 7 to 9 times out of 10 that test will be administered by crooked Republicans and will screen out people they don't want, not the people you think should be screened out.

Being a representative isn't flying a plane. If we want people who actually are representative of and represent their communities, excluding most people from those communities isn't the way to go. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Instead of term limits, maybe make them step down once their net worth is a certain amount over what is was when they were first elected. 
Then they would just increase their rate of theft.

I was in favor of term limits. But, now see it as just taking the responsibility away from the voters. We, the people need to do better.

I am in favor of age limits, though. There is no reason these old fucks should still be trying to run things. Once you're old enough for Social Security, it's time to go.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

How many hours of community service do you think should be required? 50? 100? 500? What sorts of people have the time to spare doing that much community service?

Adding requirements like this ALWAYS ends up making it harder for normal people to run for and hold office. You want people to pass some sort of civics test? 7 to 9 times out of 10 that test will be administered by crooked Republicans and will screen out people they don't want, not the people you think should be screened out.

Being a representative isn't flying a plane. If we want people who actually are representative of and represent their communities, excluding most people from those communities isn't the way to go. 

All good points. 

I know, in a Democracy, the voters are the hurdle.  Politicians are supposed to convince people of their qualifications.  I just wish that people that wanted to burn it down weren't electable, but in some county, district, state, nation, somewhere, Steve Bannon could either get elected or someone with high ties could seat this guy, and that's horrific.