Replacing a thermostat

HRSchenker

I have a Honeywell thermostat with a touchscreen that has gone to shit. Half the screen works so all I can do is switch from hot or cold air. Can't reset the filter alarm or adjust the temps. Eventually this piece of shit will totally go out. Is replacing this with the exact same model just a simple plug and play? I've heard about amateur installation ruining the warranty on systems but I'm not rewiring anything, just replacing the thermostat with a new one in the same model. Do I dare?

53 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

If same model take good photos of how the present one is connected and then watch a youtube video on it and proceed.

This....also make sure the breaker is off. Even if you think you can just slip each wire in easily without doing so, if two of them touch then you can short a fuse within the system.

4 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

I have a Honeywell thermostat with a touchscreen that has gone to shit. Half the screen works so all I can do is switch from hot or cold air. Can't reset the filter alarm or adjust the temps. Eventually this piece of shit will totally go out. Is replacing this with the exact same model just a simple plug and play? I've heard about amateur installation ruining the warranty on systems but I'm not rewiring anything, just replacing the thermostat with a new one in the same model. Do I dare?

I replaced both of the thermostats here in the house with Nest units back in 2013.  If I can do it, anyone can.

It is stone cold simple to replace your existing unit with a Nest; they have videos to watch, support to call, etc.  

• Like 1