Al Leong Biography

Rimbo

Read something earlier this week, sheer coincidence.  Uli was to die off much earlier in the film but after the actor's improv scene at the candy bar station...the director -or- writer (can't remember which) decided that gave him more depth and identity with the audience, so he kept him around longer in the film and he's one of the last few to die before the shootout with Hans.  

I know the franchise is completely run its course, and Alan Rickman is no longer with us and nobody would ever fill his shoes.  But what I wouldn't give for an early 80's prequel/origin story to how Hans Gruber formed his gang after leaving the Volksfrei movement.  Everybody is from Germany or Central Europe (there's a French and Italian guy in there IIRC).  I'm guessing he brings on Theo and the Huey Lewis-looking dude in the months/years leading up to the Nakatomi operation because he needs somebody familiar with U.S. telecom/mainframe systems and a guy who can pass for the security guard downstairs in case of any drop-ins.  But how does he form his gang in Europe....and most fascinating...how the fuck does he find/recruit Uli (Al Leong)?  Maybe Uli has it in for Nakatomi Corporation for their connections to the Japanese military industrial complex during WWII and what they did to his Chinese parents?  I mean, everybody in the group has an obvious connection to Hans except Uli.  How did they meet and was there something more than just money in it for Uli that fateful Christmas Eve?  

Anyway, cool interview.  Guy seems fascinating as hell.  I don't smoke weed, but I'd love to get high and listen to that guy spin some yarns.  

6 hours ago, Nivek said:

He was always fun to see and recognize in movies. My older brother and I were fans just because of his style.

Something they point out in this YouTube doc is how heavy that weapon is he's doing his forms with. He holds it like it weighs nothing.

16 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Something they point out in this YouTube doc is how heavy that weapon is he's doing his forms with. He holds it like it weighs nothing.

Kind of wish they could have elaborated on that.  Dude was in shape.