Atari Buys MobyGames for $1.5 Million

atomheartbevo

Ughh.  I do not like this at all.  I've contributed a lot of information and screens to MG over the years, and Atari is the exactly the kind of company that will drive it into the ground, because they are clearly not able to read the current environment - Yes, let's make weird-ass hotels when other entertainment companies are having problems make themed hotels work, or make a new console that's the same price as the Switch, but not nearly as nice, when the current Big Three are not going anywhere, and let's make sure it's delayed for years.

And I'm shocked it was sold for only $1.5 million - would have figured Amazon or Google or one of the big website/media companies would have paid a lot more.  I remember when DPReview was bought by Amazon, and I was wary of it, but it was a good fit and you don't even really realize that Amazon owns it unless you poke around.

From MobyReed:

I’m pleased to announce that Atari is now supporting our mission to preserve video game history. They have completed acquisition of the site from Antstream. You can read the official press release here.

Since 2013 I’ve been running MobyGames and will continue doing so. Atari understands how important our project is for the gaming community and they’re well aligned with our plans to improve the database and tools. In fact, Atari’s new CEO is a retro gamer/collector and long time fan of the site!

We will now be investing in full-time development (we’ve been operating with part-time dev) to complete the new site that’s been in the works the past few years. Which will replace our 20+ year old codebase and tools. It’s currently in beta testing with our admins and approvers. We’ll be expanding the beta as development gets ramped up. Stay tuned!

From Atari

https://www.atari.com/atari-completes-mobygames-acquisition-details-plans-for-the-sites-continued-support/

Honoring the History of Video Games and the People Behind Them, Atari Vows to Contribute to the Growth and Success of the Popular Video Game Database

Atari® — one of the world’s most iconic consumer brands and interactive entertainment producers — has announced that the acquisition of long-standing video game database MobyGames has been completed following a $1.5 million purchase from AntStream.

MobyGames is a renowned video game database resource for video game information spanning back to the late 1950s and serves as the authoritative source for information about video games and the individuals or organizations behind them. Similar to the television- and film-centric IMDb database, MobyGames provides in-depth and accurate video game credits and information for titles ranging from Triple-A to obscure independent projects. Thanks to its dedicated community and contributors, the MobyGames database is routinely updated and moderated.

“The MobyGames community has played a sustained and important role in the documentation, celebration and preservation of video games and supporting MobyGames allows us to give back to the community, and contribute to its growth and success,” said Atari CEO Wade Rosen. “It’s important to Atari that MobyGames retains every bit of its integrity, and we’re committed to supporting the site in ways that improve the experience for both contributors and users.”

“In Atari, MobyGames has found a partner that will provide the investment and support we need to complete long-planned site improvements,” said Jeremiah Freyholtz, General Manager MobyGames. “I am confident this transition will allow MobyGames to remain an important community-driven project, and that Atari’s involvement best positions us for long-term stability and success.”

Jeremiah Freyholtz, who has been running MobyGames since 2013, will remain in his role as General Manager.

Had never heard of that new console. Still confused about what it's supposed to be. It plays old Atari games, and new games, and streaming entertainment, and PC games...?

Following the wiki link led to me watching a hilarious Atari Jaguar infomercial at 3am (just the way it was intended to be viewed). I had completely forgotten about the Jaguar.

Also had no idea that a "White Men Can't Jump" game existed. Looked fucking TERRIBLE.

3 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

Following the wiki link led to me watching a hilarious Atari Jaguar infomercial at 3am (just the way it was intended to be viewed). I had completely forgotten about the Jaguar.

There was a point back in the 90s where you could buy brand new Jaguars in the box, with the CD drive system, etc. for under $50 and Kaybee toys had carts and CDs for $5 or less. I picked one up, along with the CD drive, a shit-ton of games, played it for a few weeks, then put it away.  Going to sell it and pay for a new 4K TV and a Switch and some games.

Jaguar was one of those systems that had a lot of potential and just piss-poor timing and MSRP.

Edited by atomheartbevo