Disgruntled woman pops shots off at Love Field ticket counter, lets discuss mental health and guns

Hermanator

On 7/26/2022 at 8:24 AM, 4th and 5 said:

She will be found to be incompetent again.

Hopefully she will be committed this time.

Committed where? 

Thanks to a certain group of assholes virtually all the pre 1970 financing of mental health facilities is gone and the country has been allowed to be flooded with guns. 

Saturday Night Live Reaction GIF by Emmys

Guess better start arming the ticket counter people and janitors along with the teachers and grocery baggers.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

Committed where? 

Thanks to a certain group of assholes virtually all the pre 1970 financing of mental health facilities is gone and the country has been allowed to be flooded with guns. 

True, but let's not forget the ACLU litigation that played a huge part in this as well.  Difficult to justify funding for facilities with no patients thanks to an inability to commit anyone.  Those facilities were nightmare factories to boot. 

There is obviously a middle ground that involves publicly funded safe spaces for mentally ill people to receive treatment, as well as mechanism that allows for the nonconsensual committal of folks based on well-vetted factors.  Do you have any faith we live in a nation where political leaders are capable of finding a middle ground solution to anything?  I don't. 

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

True, but let's not forget the ACLU litigation that played a huge part in this as well.  Difficult to justify funding for facilities with no patients thanks to an inability to commit anyone.  Those facilities were nightmare factories to boot. 

There is obviously a middle ground that involves publicly funded safe spaces for mentally ill people to receive treatment, as well as mechanism that allows for the nonconsensual committal of folks based on well-vetted factors.  Do you have any faith we live in a nation where political leaders are capable of finding a middle ground solution to anything?  I don't. 

Absolutely.  The elimination of public facilities was a #bothsides issue.  Righties were happy not to spend the money and lefties were concerned with the civil rights issues, and thought most care could be executed in the community.

In the fullness of time, they have proven to be wrong, both of them.

• Hook 'Em 1

Also, I'm intrigued by this notion of "flooded with guns."

On the one hand, since the 60s or so, tons of domestic firearm manufacturers have disappeared or been highly restructured/consolidated (as a result of declining sales) and certain types of guns that were ubiquitous once are harder to find (revolvers, lever action rifles, sxs and o/u shotguns, among others).  And, in the meantime. you probably have a lot of criminals ditching revolvers and other guns and having them confiscated.

But virtually all of the restructured manufacturers make a "black rifle" variant, and semi-automatic pistols, that were much rarer 50 some-odd years ago than today. And a few new ones have cropped up, and I'd bet foreign manufacturer sales are much higher than they once were.  And, "gun culture" has certainly changed.

I'd be interested to know whether the "absolute" number of firearms has increased or not.

Flooded with "certain types" of guns, I'd not quibble with.

Edited by TwiceHorn