Residing my House Advice

Bought my house in Round Rock for about $25K under market knowing it needed to be fully resided. Wife took the kids to the in-laws for the next few weeks and I'm thinking I'll just get it done. 

I have an in with the McCoy's Building Supply family that gets me 40% off building materials, so I just need the labor and material haul off. Anyone have good experience or connections in that line of work?

I redid the back of a townhome I own with a knockoff Hardi-board available from Lowes. 

My, now retired, handyman had to use a special blade for the cement board to cut it but it looks great and should last for a long time. 

Do some research on the layering underneath(It has been a few years but I think we did:(exterior to studs) hardy then felt paper(didn't use tivek) then cement board to studs and refreshed the insulation when needed  etc, etc) depending on your climate.  Sealed it up and then used a primer included exterior paint.  Also used the same Hardy knockoff board around the windows that we replaced at the same time.(also from Lowes(Reliabuilt))

That handyman was incredible.  (sniff, sniff, he retired and moved off to Gatorland)

maybe so but I believe smartside LP is a manufactured wood product whereas this was a fiber cement siding product .  it had the same texture and cut as if it were actual hardie board.(which means the nasty silica dust as well)

so far so good. it has a great paint on it so in about 8-10 years I'll hit it again to keep it good.   only been about 2 years so far though. 

1 hour ago, ROFL BOX said:

We can probably do that & I don't care where the fiber cement comes from - it's not built into my pricing as an "add onto parts costs" kinda thing.

1 story or 2?

Chimney in siding as well?

1 story, chimney in siding. Not a big house, only 1300ish sqft. All siding on 3 sides, brick veneer on most of the front except in the roof gables. Probably would need the soffit and fascia too. PM me with what other info you need and I'll send some photos. Non-profit worker here so I'll need you to throw some rough numbers at it before anything.

We can probably do that & I don't care where the fiber cement comes from - it's not built into my pricing as an "add onto parts costs" kinda thing.

1 story or 2?
Chimney in siding as well?

That hurts, bro. I asked you about some siding/trim work in the past (upper half of my chimney on two story house). You told me no. You too good for my bidness?

On 6/15/2018 at 5:33 AM, SquishMitten said:

That hurts, bro. I asked you about some siding/trim work in the past (upper half of my chimney on two story house). You told me no. You too good for my bidness?

Depends on how long ago... I have s.l.o.w.l.y. been getting into other areas where I have the right guys.  We have re-sided a chimney in Belterra just last week & the  week prior had a 14:12 steep roof that had bad flashing @ the bottom corners & the corner / window trim was comprised of Masonite.
We had to cut the fiber cement siding into 1/2 sheets because the house has shiplap  & we needed to match the reveal (visible height of the siding) to make it look similar to the existing areas we weren't monkeying with).

I have another bunch that we did an entire back of a house out here in Driip & it came out well other than the homeowner deciding on a complete delete for a set of sliding glass doors (I tried to talk them into a French door setup; now they have a concrete pad that's approx. 12x12 just sitting there isolated from everything.  They also decided to keep all the crappy windows vs. upgrading to even an off the shelf Home Depot double paned setup.  The  existing windows go back to the 80's & they definitely are a resale liability.

My current guys will even paint & that's a rarity for the same crew to do all that.  They don't handle interior, however, & I've got 2 sets of guys for that however it may whittle down to 1 bunch because I had a price hit on a job we completed last week when he changed his scope on me after we had started.  In the end, I ate the $$ & the customer was extremely satisfied, but I lost $$ on his end of the entire project (roof + interior stuff).

On 6/15/2018 at 12:51 AM, RCRanger03 said:

1 story, chimney in siding. Not a big house, only 1300ish sqft. All siding on 3 sides, brick veneer on most of the front except in the roof gables. Probably would need the soffit and fascia too. PM me with what other info you need and I'll send some photos. Non-profit worker here so I'll need you to throw some rough numbers at it before anything.

I'll send you the info on a PM & then we can jump off Shag 2.0 & into phone calls, email, etc.

On 6/15/2018 at 9:43 AM, LebongJames said:

Zork is probably talking about Allura. It’s a fiber cement board manufactured in Mexico. 

I was at Lowes yesterday for something else and took a quick look and didn't see it.  so I'm not sure.  they may not sell it any more.  IIRC it was manufactured in Arkie land.