WH40K: Rogue Trader

Hozz

https://roguetrader.owlcat.games

Game is still probably a year away but they have an EA going on as of a week or so ago.  Price of entry for EA is fairly steep at $99.  It's an isometric CRPG set in the WH40K universe using, I think the Rogue Trader table top lore/rules/whatever, with turn based combat.  I am not a Warhammer dude, but I have played some of the dozens of WH/WH40K video games.

This studio has a couple of great titles under their belt.  Two Pathfinder CRPGs, Kingmaker and Wrath of the Righteous, the latter being one of the best isometric CRPGs of all time.

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Game came out in December and like all of Owlcat's games at release, it had lot of bugs and the content was less baked the further you progressed.  So having played the alpha and the beta I decided to wait a couple of months before playing release.  I had no game breaking bugs.  Most of the bugs I experienced were related to the very complex combat mechanics and things not behaving as expected.

If you like WH40K this is must buy IMO.  I bet it gets a lot of people introduced to the universe, especially beyond a casual level.

If you like party based, turn based CRPGs this is must buy.  I personally like it better than Owlcat's last game, Wrath of the Righteous which was CRPG of the year in a lot of places for 2022.

If you do not like reading in video games do not buy this.  It has a LOT of words going on here.  There is some voice acting but it is almost exclusively to party characters and no one has their lines 100% voiced.  So we are talking read a book type level of words here.  You can skip it all but you shouldn't and if you are inclined to do so, again I would say this is just not the game for you.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2186680/Warhammer_40000_Rogue_Trader/ pretty sure it is on both PS5 and Xbox as well.  Steamdeck and gamepad support if you roll that way.

55 minutes ago, Hozz said:

If you do not like reading in video games do not buy this.  It has a LOT of words going on here.  There is some voice acting but it is almost exclusively to party characters and no one has their lines 100% voiced.  So we are talking read a book type level of words here.  You can skip it all but you shouldn't and if you are inclined to do so, again I would say this is just not the game for you.

Lol, some of the story sections are literally a choose your own adventure book presented as if it were being read from a book!

I think I'm almost done with Act 2, I've been enjoying Rogue Trader as a CRPG come-down from BG3. It plays surprisingly decent on my steamdeck with FSR enabled - the only major difference from playing on my PC is the loading times