Texas Destroys Alabama - And Here's the Film to Prove It

Katfid54

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

i'm old.

Me too bro. Those were the reads in our day, but now these refs allow linemen 5 yards downfield in some cases and they still throw the ball. On RPOs the linemen don't even know whether its going to be a run or pass as that decision is made based on how the guy in Gbenda's position reacts to Milroe bellying the ball. He bites Milroe pulls. He doesn't Milroe hands off. Or, in the case of Milroe, he bites and Milroe pulls and throws into the teeth of the exact same zone he got picked off on the last time.

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

watch 33 drop into coverage. do they not still teach to read the oline off the ball to see whether they're coming down field to run block? 

It's tricky now.

If you look at the blocking scheme, it looks like every o-lineman engages with a d-lineman and none release to the second level. By engaging with a d-lineman, there's no way they could get too far down to be illegal by the time the ball is thrown.

The only blocker who goes to the second level is the TE, who can't be called for illegal man down field. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

watch 33 drop into coverage. do they not still teach to read the oline off the ball to see whether they're coming down field to run block?

Yeah, we discussed this above.  I think I misdiagnosed that play as a Zone Read.  Instead, I think it's actually an RPO and Gbenda is getting read there.  If he plays run, Milroe pulls the ball and throws the out route.