Holiday Donation Suggestions (donate bikes and other)

utee94

Not sure where to put this, to be sure it might get some traffic, but this board seemed more appropriate than Hobbies or Lulz or Food/Travel so...

I'm in Austin, and I have a good-quality somewhat-used girls 20" mountain bike, and I'm looking for a place to donate it.  I'd prefer it go somewhere where it might get some tune-up and go directly to a needy child for free, rather than donate to Goodwill or some other place where it will be sold.  A quick google tells me Yellow Bikes does this, but I wanted to see if anyone on surly had any direct experience or suggestions?

I posted a few days back on the road bikes thread in Hobbies but didn't see any responses.

This could also serve as a thread for holiday donations of other items, to make it more useful.

Thanks in advance, happy holidays, Merry Christmas, etc. 

Just now, utee94 said:

Not sure where to put this, to be sure it might get some traffic, but this board seemed more appropriate than Hobbies or Lulz or Food/Travel so...

I'm in Austin, and I have a good-quality somewhat-used girls 20" mountain bike, and I'm looking for a place to donate it.  I'd prefer it go somewhere where it might get some tune-up and go directly to a needy child for free, rather than donate to Goodwill or some other place where it will be sold.  A quick google tells me Yellow Bikes does this, but I wanted to see if anyone on surly had any direct experience or suggestions?

I posted a few days back on the road bikes thread in Hobbies but didn't see any responses.

This could also serve as a thread for holiday donations of other items, to make it more useful.

Hmmm, and I just saw the "HELP" forum which I'd completely overlooked, so...

9 minutes ago, utee94 said:

try your local church....they usually have a list of families and kids and with wish lists for gifts