DHL Global Mail And Similar

So I have noticed shipping services like DHL Global Mail/Ecommerce and various "Smartpost" services used by online vendors.  Apparently, they are specially "tailored" for "ecommerce" vendors, and the implication is that they are super cheap or otherwise easy for vendors to use.

They are slow as fuck.

They use the mail (USPS) for "last mile" and are actually timely once the package hits the USPS, but may take a week or more to get to USPS.

Because they are slow as fuck, they must be cheap as hell or somehow really easy to use.

Can anyone explain how these work?  Are these the type of things where private business is getting balls deep in USPS?

I'm a bit of a contrarian in that I have had uniformly good service from USPS and will choose first class delivery whenever available.  Considering its low cost, I get less agitated if it is a day late, but it rarely is.

Whenever I order something from Amazon or someone else and get a tracking notice that it's DHL Global Mail, I groan.

DHL is owned by Germany's Deutsche Post AG. They cooperate with USPS as far as carrying the parcel on U.S. soil is concerned and vice versa. USPS is slow and while DHL usually ships packages to the U.S. rather quickly, it hits snail mode once USPS handles it.

Some of these issues have to do with customs. Many imported packages have to go through it. Some logistics companies handle these procedures themselves while others just dump their shipments at the respective customs agencies at the airports, let them sort it out and assume transportation, once the stuff has been cleared.

DHL used to have their own German customs department before they cut it a few years back. Until then customs added a few hours or a day max. to foreign import delivery time. Now German customs handles it directly and they don't care about "48 hours delivery", "Express Mail" or some such premium nonsense. They take their sweet time, sometimes weeks.

These cooperating logistics carriers don't regard each other's premium services. Heard that from the horse's mouth (DHL shipping agent). Hence, when you track an international package, you usually see it take off quickly and then slow down, once it reaches its destination country.

For quicker delivery, try to find out which companies handle their own customs procedures. I think UPS and FedEx do but they make you pay for it through their tariffs. USPS is chronically slow when it comes to international shipping.

DHL is one of the most reliable and fastest shippers in Germany and within the EU, though, where customs isn't involved.

The service I am referring to is entirely domestic.  And the delay is with DHL.  Similar with the other "smart posts."  They go on some sort of slow boat or hand carry from Wooster, OH or wherever to a relatively nearby "distribution center," whereupon they are received by USPS and delivered within a day.

It was originally called DHL Global Mail, but according to DHL and their tracking site, it is now "Ecommerce."  All the vendors seem to send tracking notices that still say Global Mail, which is a misnomer because these are domestic sellers.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Only a small sample, but I had two packages delivered via DHL/usps last week.  I’m cheap so i opted for the free 5-7 business day shipping. I received both in two days.  One was shipped from NY to AZ so I know it hopped on a flight.

An example.  I ordered something from Amazon, free shipping, not time sensitive at all.  I ordered the shit March 27.  It ships DHL global mail/ecommerce.  According to tracking, it has been "enroute to DHL distribution center" in Birmingham, AL since March 30.  Their tracking updates are also horribad.

If true to form, it will hit USPS and be delivered in a day.

What. The. Fuck.  Is. DHL. Doing. With. My. Socks?

Edited by TwiceHorn