Roy Orbison

mycox

The first I heard of him was when Van Halen sang Pretty Woman. I didn't know who Roy Orbison was at the time, but I thought it was a pretty cool song (looking back that song sucked). Then I got into the Traveling Wilburys and Roy died soon afterward.

As I got older I listened to Roy Orbison more and I realized how talented he was with lyrics and how he sang with an amazing vocal range. To this day I think my favorite song is Crying. In Dreams is a close 2nd. Just listening to his lyrics you could tell he had heartbreak throughout his life.

Before my time, but I didn't know he played at ACL in 1982.  Maybe Armybrat saw him. It's on youtube.

My favorites:
Crying
In Dreams
It's Over
Running Scared
Only The Only
Dream
Anything you Want
Only The Lonely
You Got It
Dream Baby

Edited by mycox

Roy is a god. If you don't own his Black & White Night concert you need to. That's the greatest backup band of all time, and their love for the man & his music just radiates. 

I don't know if there's a better opening lyric than It's Over: "Your baby doesn't love you anymore." Fuck. That angelic voice hits you with the kill shot right out of the gate. 

• Like 2