ss13

2020 ATP/WTA thread

She got rolled up in the virtual Madrid tourney going on now too. 

This is fucking awesome, they’re playing a 4-man event at a private residence in W. Palm Beach now. 

The women’s field May 22-24 is pretty fucking sweet. 

• Alison Riske – 4th ranked American, WTA #19, UTR 13.19 (#14)
  • Amanda Anisimova – 5th ranked American, WTA #28, UTR 13.04 (#33)
  • Danielle Collins – 8th ranked American, WTA #51, UTR 13.07 (#28)
  • Ajla Tomljanović – 2nd ranked Australian, WTA #56, UTR 12.85 (#68)

17 hours ago, satyanash said:

I don’t disagree with this at all.  Federer has a pretty decent shot of finishing #3 all time in slams for his own era with losing records to #1 and #2.  

Damn, Naomi. 

Tennis star Naomi Osaka has been a Grand Slam champion and No. 1 in the WTA rankings. Now she is No. 1 on another list: top-earning female athlete.

According to a story posted on Forbes.com on Friday, the 22-year-old player earned $37.4 million from June 1, 2019, to June 1, 2020, from endorsements and prize money, eclipsing Serena Williams ($36 million) in that span.

Forbes said Osaka's total is a one-year record for a female athlete, topping the previous mark of $29.7 million set by Maria Sharapova in 2015.

Osaka is No. 29 overall, with Williams at No. 33, on Forbes' annual list of the 100 top-earning athletes. The full list is set to be released next week.

Williams had led the way among women each of the past four years.

Osaka beat Williams in the 2018 US Open final and then added the 2019 Australian Open title, allowing her to become the first player from Asia to be No. 1 in the women's or men's tennis rankings.

She has won about $14.5 million in career prize money, according to the WTA, a little less than half of which was earned in 2019.

On 5/8/2020 at 8:08 PM, ss13 said:

The women’s field May 22-24 is pretty fucking sweet. 

• Alison Riske – 4th ranked American, WTA #19, UTR 13.19 (#14)
  • Amanda Anisimova – 5th ranked American, WTA #28, UTR 13.04 (#33)
  • Danielle Collins – 8th ranked American, WTA #51, UTR 13.07 (#28)
  • Ajla Tomljanović – 2nd ranked Australian, WTA #56, UTR 12.85 (#68)

Anisimova/Collins replay from earlier today on TC now. They don't even have ball kids, couldn't find a couple 'Rona-free 12-year olds to run around for awhile? 

Edited by ss13

Fucking funny they can’t even touch the other player’s tennis balls. That’s taking things a bit far. 

Amanda is clearly not anywhere close to tourney-ready, but that’s fine. 

Watching the Re-Open now, Collins v. Tomljanovic.  Looks like Futures/Challenger level. 

Not that I'm complaining.  Nice to have something to watch other than Federer losing a Slam final.

Edited by Bullneck

4 minutes ago, ss13 said:

But they're both pretty easy on the eyes. 

That helps. Too bad there's no Alize Cornet v. Ana Ivanovic.  Now that would be a treat.  

And maybe Mattek-Sands.  She struck me as a dirty girl.  How's her knee?

Edited by Bullneck

It's a damn shame that the most unlikable of the Big Three will probably have the most accolades in the end. Federer is probably my favorite athlete, but I'd be fine with Nadal eclipsing his Slams record. It seems like Djokovic fans are either just contrarians or Serbians.

1 minute ago, George Clooney said:

It's a damn shame that the most unlikable of the Big Three will probably have the most accolades in the end. Federer is probably my favorite athlete, but I'd be fine with Nadal eclipsing his Slams record. It seems like Djokovic fans are either just contrarians or Serbians.

I used to dislike Djoker but he's grown on me.  When he lost the Wimbledon final to Murray and said if he had to lose he was happy to make so many people happy I thought that was pretty cool.  Also:

4 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

I remember when Nadal beat Djokovic at RG pretty early in Novak's career (a beatdown) in the press conference someone told Rafael that Novak thought he had a chance of winning.  Nadal was justifiably incredulous.  Then a few years went by . . .

I also remember Andy Roddick beating Nadal at the US Open early in Nadal's career but being surprised how Nadal kept hopping around and fighting to the end.  Roddick was kind of a dick.  Let's count their Slam victories now.

1 hour ago, Bullneck said:

Watching the Re-Open now, Collins v. Tomljanovic.  Looks like Futures/Challenger level. 

Not that I'm complaining.  Nice to have something to watch other than Federer losing a Slam final.

Asimova went to the girls RG semis?  

800px-Anisimova_RG19_(32)_(48199400552).

Lost a tough 3-setter to Barty. 

That Barty/Vondrousova final will go down as one of the stranger Slam deciders of our generation. 

Could be one of the players’ entourage, I know they have hitting partners there. 

Edited by ss13

16 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I guess the final day was a complete rainout. Too bad

First round of the French Open on now.  Hurkacz and Djokovic